• Divemaster

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Master diver

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Just do dives

Votes: 68 84.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just dive. A lot. Dive in as many different conditions as possible. Have fun!

DM is worthless for making you a better diver, and unless you wish to be an instructor, instructor level skills demonstrations are not required...but you can always strive for them.

There are better classes out there to make you a great diver. Within the PADI system, peak performance buoyancy and navigation are great to take & master. GUE fundamentals are another option.

Just dive and have fun!

If I was in the UK, I would look into a BSAC club. It seems they have a good training progression whether you go on to dive master or not. It might also provide you with more resources than the local PADI shop.

Bob

I'd like to offer an alternative view for Chris Holt and others to consider. The pre-requites to PADI DM training include your open water certification, advanced open water certification, rescue dive certification and emergency first responder certification. Chris ( and any one else considering DM training) should first complete all those others before considering it. I also agree with Keith that you will get more out of the advanced class if you get some dives in your log book before taking it. Then do another 20 or so before taking rescue. That should put you at or close to 60 dives, which you need to complete DM, but frankly should be required at the outset in my opinion. That brings you (and others) to deciding whether to get DM training or take some specialty courses not focused on a professional credential. DM materials and training cost a bit- 15 years ago I paid $1500 US. Also, BEFORE beginning DM training you MUST have all of your own equipment including compass, weights, and in some but not all places, a tank (you might call it a bottle). DM training includes honing all your skills to demonstration quality, and that includes buoyancy, trim, navigation and all the rest. It also includes a review and intensification of rescue skills, and lots on dive planning. Some of the training relates to the business of diving, legal issues, and teaching/assisting techniques. But overall the bulk of the course, including internships, will greatly improve any diver's skill and comfort and competence levels. I would not dismiss DM training out of hand, even if you do not intend to work, or pay for insurance so you can work. You can still wear the cool hats and t shirts.
DivemasterDennis

Chris,
As Jim stated above, there are other courses that will greatly enhance your skills even you do not intend to make scuba a career. I took the dive master course only because I love the theory behind it and wanted to improve my skills. I did not know at the time the other courses that were available as Jim stated above and could have saved a lot of money if I had done the research. Dive some more, get your advanced OW and Rescue and ask questions and observe other more skilled divers.

just dive, dive, dive and everything else will work itself out...........enjoy the inner space of the underwater world.

At less than ten dives you're still far, far too early in your diving career to even entertain the idea of becoming certified at a leadership level. What starts out as enthusiastic infatuation could lead to burn out, you might realize that you don't get to dive as often as you think you will or that you don't have a taste for it (or really any number of other things that can happen between now and the point where you're suitably skilled to be teaching others).

Go diving. Take every dollar you have and every minute of free time and use it to go diving. Get training when the training level you have is preventing you from doing a dive that you want to do.

You'll know it's time to "go pro" when others around you start treating you like one. When you find yourself solving problems for others, giving dive briefings to newbies on a boat or guiding around a couple from out of town you'll get a sense that others view you in that capacity so you ought to probably go make it official.

There are a lot of bad dive masters and instructors in the world (in my opinion, there are more bad ones than good) mostly on account of the fact that they rush things, charge in to a program that fulfills the bare minimums and ultimately certifies unqualified and unskilled pros. I don't think it's entirely their fault, we're all bombarded with PADI's "go pro" and "dive lifestyle" propaganda from the first day of our diving course.

There is absolutely nothing magical about being a divemaster or a master diver. Most divers you encounter won't really even know what either of those designations mean (the folks here on SB tend to be more interested in the minutia than your average vacation boat diver).

You're unlikely to regret the time you spent diving and unlikely to benefit in a meaningful way from leadership dive training.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I agree with what you have said, the problem is that I live in the middle of England so dive opportunities are very limited and only really limited to trips abroad which is why I thought I would combine a trip abroad with diving and challenge myself at the same time. And no I do not have a dive buddy.
Hi Chris,

There are plenty of clubs in the Midlands. Living there you have the opportunity to dive the East and West coasts, plus for that little bit further the South coast of Scotland. The BSAC web site is here, put your postcode in the Find a Club and see what comes up.

If your ever on the West coast of Scotland drop me a PM and we'll go diving.

i am in a kind of similar situation. I have got my OW like a month ago , first time diving as well . I want to be an instructor in some years so DM is in my plans but thinking about it i decided not to rush into things. I wanted to do the advance as soon as i could but tbh, there is no rush at all. I personally would start with the advanced once i have a few more dives, then rescue , etc ... its not really necessary and In my case, i dont really feel good enough to rush things and try to be dm In 8 weeks so i have to be with KEITH M here.

Also i like in Kent, so diving is not easy here ! plus, ive only been diving in Barbados .... i went to a dive centre last week to ask about stuff . They have basically pushed me to do the AOW, which like i said, im not ready for. They also suggested to try a first dive in a lake because its easier to try thicker wetsuit and do a weight check, new vis, etc

Chris, you could learn a lot from a good divemaster course. But before you think about that, you just need to dive a lot. Focus on other dive certs. Enhance those skills and get a bunch of dive experience. If you don't intend on working as a DM, it is probably a waste of money. You can gain and enhance the skills thru a variety of other dive cert classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom