• Divemaster

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Master diver

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Just do dives

Votes: 68 84.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For MSD through PADI you need 50 logged dives, 5 specialties, AOW and rescue diver.

Honestly, just go diving. I rushed into my AOW and really should have gotten some more practice before I did. Going straight from open water to advanced gives you a grand total of 9 completed dives, which does not an "advanced" diver make.

I did AOW straight after OW and it didn't do me any harm, nor did I think it made me an 'advanced diver'. One of the benefits of doing AOW straight away is it gives you more time with an instructor during your early dives and you have more experience in the water before you head out without one.

Another viewpoint is that your skils should be more finely honed, meaning when you do your AOW, the instructor isn't trying to 'un-teach' bad habits.

I have also heard of people doing OW, doing 100+ dives and then AOW - I cannot see what they are actually learning.

I don't see the harm in progressing through the recreational courses quickly as they should all provide a foundation to develop your skills, but the pro stuff should only be offered to competent, well rounded divers.

Anyone saying to wait before you advance levels is just being an elitist. It's the certification agencies that set the requirements. So what the elitists are basically saying is dive, but don't take any specialty classes. Because if you did take specialty classes, you would just fall into your AOW cert.

And seeing as specialty classes give you additional knowledge, it seems silly not to take them.

I don't think that having more dives makes you any better a diver. I've seen new people that are excellent divers and people with many dives that were just horrible. The real key is to find an instructor that won't just push you along to get your money. Find one that will actually fail you if you can't perform.

Anyone saying to wait before you advance levels is just being an elitist. It's the certification agencies that set the requirements. So what the elitists are basically saying is dive, but don't take any specialty classes. Because if you did take specialty classes, you would just fall into your AOW cert.

And seeing as specialty classes give you additional knowledge, it seems silly not to take them.

I don't think that having more dives makes you any better a diver. I've seen new people that are excellent divers and people with many dives that were just horrible. The real key is to find an instructor that won't just push you along to get your money. Find one that will actually fail you if you can't perform.

Well, that's certainly a theory.

Anyone saying to wait before you advance levels is just trying to save you money. Us elitists are saying that nothing can replace time in the water, esp. if you can find someone, or a whole club that can act as a mentor.

Number of dives does not make the diver, but experience is wondetful for alowing you to get a feel for things. The first 50 dives will make a huge difference for your comfort and technique with or without classes. And you can learn a great deal on your own too by checking out books like Jim Lapenta's and Simon Pridmore's books, also Diver Down and even Deco for Divers and The Six Skills (both a bit more advanced). Classes can be of great value and SB can help you find the classes others have found most rewarding (hint: it's often HUGELY about the instructor) BUT don't get sucked into thinking you have to pay every step to learn. That could not be less true!!!

I was required to have 25 dives before I could take the next class (CMAS**) and I got a great deal more out of it because of this. It's much more fun to learn things like turns, reel work, SMBs and compass drills when you have already developed a fair bit of control and are ready to spare some attension for other matters.

I don't think that having more dives makes you any better a diver. I've seen new people that are excellent divers and people with many dives that were just horrible.

Your example leads me to think that it is truly dependent upon the individual, how they were trained, and how seriously the individual took their training. I agree that someone repeating poor and improper technique over and over on multiple dives will build these deficient skills into bad habits. Conversely, wouldn't you agree that someone who is practicing proper skills and technique will benefit by diving repetitively? Through repetition these newly learned proper skills and technique will become habit. For the latter, I believe that more dives would absolutely make someone a better diver. I agree that the instructor is the key to a new diver learning proper skills and technique, and the need for correcting a diver at the outset when he isn't seeing them is a given.

I found the Rescue Diver course to be both challenging and extremely useful. If in the UK, learning to use a dry suit properly is pretty important, my tuppence worth :)

It's nothing to do with being elitist - I tell people not to do speciality courses because they are a waste of money. The best way to learn to dive well is get your basic training done and get out and dive with experienced divers.

It's nothing to do with being elitist - I tell people not to do speciality courses because they are a waste of money. The best way to learn to dive well is get your basic training done and get out and dive with experienced divers.

Well, that excludes anyone that wants to dive nitrox then doesn't it. Diving with experienced divers is not always an option. And I would rather have actual instruction from an instructor then from someone that has just logged a lot of dives. Everyone has their own opinion on how things should be done, but at least the instructors are following some standard.

And the thought that specialty classes are a waste of money only works for people that don't want to do anything but dive. If your goal however is to become a dive professional, you can't avoid specialties. With that in mind, I think it would be much wiser to have the knowledge that you can learn from specialties as soon as possible. You can't tell me that some of the information you get from a Stress and Rescue course is not of some value to all divers, no matter how awesome you think you are.

I'm not saying that specialties alone will make you a good diver. It is a combination of knowledge and experience. The specialty course give you some knowledge and more dives gives you experience. Without proper knowledge, you can't hone your skills with more dives. It's called "Basic" open water for a reason. With that in mind, people just fall into an AOW cert.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 11:59 AM ----------

Your example leads me to think that it is truly dependent upon the individual, how they were trained, and how seriously the individual took their training. I agree that someone repeating poor and improper technique over and over on multiple dives will build these deficient skills into bad habits. Conversely, wouldn't you agree that someone who is practicing proper skills and technique will benefit by diving repetitively? Through repetition these newly learned proper skills and technique will become habit. For the latter, I believe that more dives would absolutely make someone a better diver. I agree that the instructor is the key to a new diver learning proper skills and technique, and the need for correcting a diver at the outset when he isn't seeing them is a given.

Yes, if you are practicing proper techniques, then more dives should make you better to a point. There does come a point where you're as good as you get.

What I should have said was that more dives does not "necessarily" make you a better dive.

Of course some skills won't always develop the more you dive if you don't know what it entails. Take for instance a stressed buddy. That is not covered in basic open water instruction, so you never learn to recognize it and therefore can't be more in tune with it. But taking a stress and rescue specialty gives you things to look out for and how to deal with them. Once you have that knowledge, then you can improve you observational skills as it relates to stress.

My main point is that telling people to just go diving and not take specialty classes is foolish. Additional knowledge is never a bad thing and can only make us better divers. And if people are taking specialty classes and diving, they will end up with an advance certification. Having the highest recreational certification doesn't make you a better diver per se, but anyone that wants to advance to the professional level needs to get them.

Or you can have someone like me. I had to take two phys ed classes in college and one had to be an aquatics class. So I got my basic cert for one and my advanced cert for the other. And when I bought my gear package, I got 3 free specialty classes with it, so I made one Stress and Rescue. Wow, I ended up with my Master Diver cert. Does that make me a better diver? No, I fell into the certifications because I met requirements. And of the 7 specialties I currently have, I would have to say that I learned something from all of them that I practice to make myself a better diver.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 12:09 PM ----------

Anyone saying to wait before you advance levels is just trying to save you money. Us elitists are saying that nothing can replace time in the water, esp. if you can find someone, or a whole club that can act as a mentor.

Number of dives does not make the diver, but experience is wondetful for alowing you to get a feel for things. The first 50 dives will make a huge difference for your comfort and technique with or without classes.

This only applies in theory. I've dove with brand new certified divers (with only their check out dives) that had very good buoyancy control and with divers that have 25+ dives that still can't stop themselves from bouncing in the silt and shooting to the surface.

And let's not forget that most specialties also require open water dives. So by your theory of more dives, specialties can't be bad.

Last edited:
Well, that excludes anyone that wants to dive nitrox then doesn't it. Diving with experienced divers is not always an option. And I would rather have actual instruction from an instructor then from someone that has just logged a lot of dives. Everyone has their own opinion on how things should be done, but at least the instructors are following some standard.

And the thought that specialty classes are a waste of money only works for people that don't want to do anything but dive. If your goal however is to become a dive professional, you can't avoid specialties. With that in mind, I think it would be much wiser to have the knowledge that you can learn from specialties as soon as possible. You can't tell me that some of the information you get from a Stress and Rescue course is not of some value to all divers, no matter how awesome you think you are.

I'm not saying that specialties alone will make you a good diver. It is a combination of knowledge and experience. The specialty course give you some knowledge and more dives gives you experience. Without proper knowledge, you can't hone your skills with more dives. It's called "Basic" open water for a reason. With that in mind, people just fall into an AOW cert.

Nitrox is one of the few specialities with tangible benefits. I have three speciality certs:

• Nitrox - needed to procure nitrox fills (allegedly - I've never been asked, even for 100%). It is also a very useful course to have.
  • Deep - qualified me to 40m. Before this, I had dived deeper, on twins, with deco. Importantly, I have a card saying I can dive to 40m, which my insurer likes when I am diving overseas.
  • Drysuit - complete waste of money. I learned to dive in a drysuit, but I chose to do the speciality at the same time as the OW as I thought I would need it to hire a suit. I ended up buying one immediately so I didn't need it.

The majority of others are just money spinners for PADI. I would rather see a different and more structured AOW course that includes more time deep diving, nitrox and DSMB deployment. Anybody who has been taught to the standards to begin with (and has genuinely reached the required standards) shouldn't need to spend loads of time in the water with instructors.

Mustard Dave, I agree that required elements to advance are lacking. But then again, I don't think the AOW and Master Diver titles give any kind of idea as to a divers skill level.

The real problem with NOT having the AOW cert is that some dive operators won't let you dive at all. Some won't let you go deep without the deep specialty. But if all you're doing is diving in with friends on your own, then really, you don't even need a basic certification.

Personally, I would like to see Stress and Rescue as part of the Basic cert and specialties more involved and to include real training. Some of the specialties just should not be allowed as part of an advanced cert, like photography, equipment techniques, and waves tides and currents (all SSI specialties).

My goal is to become an instructor, so I will take all the specialties I can so I will be able to get my AOW instructor cert and teach as many as possible.

Back
Top Bottom