Thinking Cuba, need ideas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly out of Toronto or better yet Montreal. You can pickup a flight and accommodationsdeal to Cayo Largo on the Caribbean side of the island. This is suppose to be Cuba's scuba mecca.

US citizens and residents without the requisite license to visit Cuba might want to be careful not to acquire a tan/sunburn while in Cuba, lest the US CBP officer question how one acquired that in Canada. Tropical dive gear might be a giveaway, too. There are anecdotes floating out there in travel circles of it happening. If you're going to skirt the law, which is something I can't recommend on a public forum, be careful out there.

I went to Cuba through Toronto and it is not bulletproof. While Cuban authorities will not stamp your passport, the Canadian will upon your return. Upon interrogation by the border guard in Niagara Falls I fessed up to visiting the terrible Cuba. Aside from having my car searched and a couple of lectures, there were no real consequences. Although I am probably on some list somewhere. I did not dive in Cuba but I suppose it can't be hard to find a dive shop while already there.

I went to Cuba through Toronto and it is not bulletproof. While Cuban authorities will not stamp your passport, the Canadian will upon your return. Upon interrogation by the border guard in Niagara Falls I fessed up to visiting the terrible Cuba. Aside from having my car searched and a couple of lectures, there were no real consequences. Although I am probably on some list somewhere. I did not dive in Cuba but I suppose it can't be hard to find a dive shop while already there.

Interesting to know that they didn't fine you.

Some Americans are positively paranoid about getting caught, to the point of deleting photos from their cameras and otherwise not carrying any trace of their illicit visit. Of course, if you're driving back from Toronto in the winter with a tan, you've got some 'splaining to do.

I wonder if your border agent's reaction (or inaction) was typical of what we can expect these days? Maybe things are looking up for us.

Exactly. I had pictures, unmarked cigars and some I heart Cuba t-shirts in the car so I wasn't planning on bending the truth. Not to mention the tan. I told them I went to the Caribbean. Upon further questioning, I told them I went to an island in the Caribbean. After they asked what island, I had no choice. I did a bit of research before going and the appears to be lack of interest on the part of the U.S. government to get people in trouble for going over there. Plus as I understand it, it's not illegal to go there, it's illegal to spend money. I decided to play stupid once the cat was out of the bag - What embargo officer? Are you serious? No way! If I decide to ever go back, I will do it via Mexico or Jamaica. At least then I will be able to explain the tan. And they are probably less anal at airports than they are at border crossings.

I did the first trip that Dr. Guggenheim (Ocean Doctor) ran under his newly-approved program. It's under the auspices of the US Treasury Department, so you can imagine how long it took and how much fun the process was.

It is a people-to-people, cultural exchange program and I thoroughly enjoyed it, both the time in Havana and some of the surrounding country and the spectacular diving in the Gardens of the Queen. Their new boat wasn't done yet but we took a look at it back in port and it promises to be a very nice experience. Avalon is the only operator allowed in Gardens of the Queen, but they did a fine job.

Rather than hose up the forum, you can read a fairly lengthy recap of my trip here: Mark's Cuba Experience.

I just spoke with David today and, if I can help in any way, please let me know. I find it a little odd that they won't accept you as a single but maybe I can be of assistance.

You'll love Cuba; at least I did. Can't wait to go back and take a group, so maybe you can end up with us.

I went to Cuba last year for three weeks. Did diving in Jardines de la Reina, Bay of Pigs and Maria La Gorda. I like Jardines de la Reina and Bay of Pigs. Not so much about Maria La Gorda because of mass-diving practice, it just drove me mad.

The overall report and diving pictures are available at my blog - Cuba | indahs: travel story & photography
Hope that will give some info and impression on Cuba.

I've been diving Cuba for a number of years now and there have been some changes that expand what is available. If you are diving only at a resort, Breezes Jibacoa is very good. Great guys to dive with, the first deep dives of the day don't have many divers, and the reef off the resort is excellent. If you want to take a day trip there are two tank dives, to the Bay of Pigs which is a protected area and pristine wall diving. You can do this with Scubazul in Matanza, or Adventure Divers. Did I mention that Cubans can own and operated their own businesses? For live aboard check out Avalon Diving Cuba and the Garden of the Queen in an isolated island chain south of the main island. Anderson Cooper did a special on this area. Only 1000 divers allowed there per year and there are sharks, rays and crocs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom