Thinking Cuba, need ideas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We spent a week on a Liveaboard with Avalon Fleet and had a fantastic time!

DIVING AVALON CUBAN DIVE CENTERS cubandivingcenters.com CARIBBEAN SCUBA DIVE IN CUBA

There are a number of boats to choose from based on budget. We stayed on Avalon end of November 2013 and everything about the boat surpassed our expectations. Be aware that the bus trip from Havana to the boat is quite long ( 5-6 hours) an then another 5 hours out to sea (a lot of travel time for 1 week but we felt worth it)
Reef and Silky sharks very abundant as is other marine life. Enourmous Groupers! Not many turtles and didnt see any Eagle Rays. We were very fortunate to swim with a whale shark on 2 separate occasions. Overall great diving!

The boat remained anchored all week and small speed boats (are these called skips?) chauffeured us around to the different sites. Two am dives, then back to the boat for a nice lunch and snooze, followed by 3rd dive. No night dives allowed, as I understand this area to be a marine reserve.

For a (fairly accurate) video watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nMUnK7S-A

Many people living here (Grand Cayman) visit Cuba from time to time. It's a 45 minute flight to Havana and flights leave several times per day. You could always come here, dive for a day or 2, then head over to Cuba ...

Appreciate the heads up Alex. Might just do that! Live aboard sounds like a good way to go silveradorob, its what I've been thinking when I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom