Thinking of buying a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windminstrel

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I'm thinking of getting a boat in the next year or so, but I know nothing about 'em. Thinking of something small -- 20 to 30 feet maybe? And will probably go for a used boat.

Any advice? How can I learn about boat ownership, how to buy a good one, yada, and yada?

Windminstrel:
Howdy folks,

I'm thinking of getting a boat in the next year or so, but I know nothing about 'em. Thinking of something small -- 20 to 30 feet maybe? And will probably go for a used boat.

Any advice? How can I learn about boat ownership, how to buy a good one, yada, and yada?

Send a note to Uncle Pug here on SB. My guess is that he will give you the info you desire...and some you didn't know you need...

Greetings Windminstrel,

Most boats are a compromise to one degree or another. How you balance the trade offs depends upon your primary usage, cruising grounds, pocket book and the strength of your marriage.

The definition of something small depends upon your frame of reference... some larger yachts carry tenders on deck that would be too big to haul behind a one ton truck.

BTW: the difference between a 20' boat and a 30' boat is an order of magnitude in both cost and size. It is amazing what a 2' difference can make between two boats... extra length usually means extra beam, draft, weight and capacity. In fact many boaters contract twofootitis upon taking ownership of boat.

A used boat can be more costly that a new boat if not purchased well but a well found used boat can carry value in appointments that many overlook. Initial outfitting of a new boat can easily add 15%~20% to the purchase price!

All that said, what you need to do is clarify your parameters:
1. What can you afford initially & what can you afford as cost of ownership on an ongoing basis? (figure 15% yearly)
2. What cost of operation (different from ownership) can you afford on a per use basis?
3. What are your primary and secondary uses for the boat?
4. What will be your geographic and seasonal parameters?
5. Do you want the mobility of a trailer boat or the capacity of a moored boat?
6. Do you want/need the speed of a fast boat or can you live with a slower pace?
7. Do you like to do maintenance work and are you handy enough to do it?

Take the following test to see if boat ownership is for you:

Wearing full rain gear get into a cold shower and stuff $100 bills down the drain until it plugs and overflows.
If you enjoy that then boat ownership is for you.

thanks for the reply, Uncle -- your boat-ownership test made my cow-orkers (yes, they do indeed ork cows) wonder about my sanity at the loud guffaws coming from my cubicle.

Clairification of my parameters:

1. What can you afford initially & what can you afford as cost of ownership on an ongoing basis? (figure 15% yearly)

I figure 10-15K max for the initial purchase. If I can cap the maintenance at 15% or so it wouldn't be a problem.

2. What cost of operation (different from ownership) can you afford on a per use basis?

hrmm, I dunno. What's the range?

divin' and fishin' (and drinkin', but not while divin')

I'm in Connecticut, so spring to fall (May to October, I guess?).

probably trailer, I'm thinking.

6. Do you want/need the speed of a fast boat or can you live with a slower pace?

nah, slow is fine

yes, and hell no.

Windminstrel:
thanks for the reply, Uncle -- your boat-ownership test made my cow-orkers (yes, they do indeed ork cows) wonder about my sanity at the loud guffaws coming from my cubicle.

Clairification of my parameters:

I figure 10-15K max for the initial purchase. If I can cap the maintenance at 15% or so it wouldn't be a problem.

That'll do for a good used trailer boat.

hrmm, I dunno. What's the range?

$$$$outboard gas to inboard diesel$

divin' and fishin' (and drinkin', but not while divin')

think cockpit area & ease of egress/ingress with gear.

I'm in Connecticut, so spring to fall (May to October, I guess?).

Will you want a cuddy cabin to get out of the weather, a bimini to get out of the sun or just an open boat?

probably trailer, I'm thinking.

I'm thinking that will be your best bet... but you will need to size the boat to fit your present towing capacity and available launch sites or you will find the cost going up considerably as you purchase a 4 wheel drive truck with big gas guzzling motor to haul, launch and retrieve the boat.

nah, slow is fine

Actually with a smaller trailer boat speed is an asset in the ability to out run weather plus access dives sites without spending a day getting there. Larger moored slow boats with inboard diesels are the most economical to operate on a use basis but all the other costs can be much higher.

yes, and hell no.

Figure cost of ownership 20% if you have the work done professionally and 40% if you attempt it first.

Another parameter to consider is how many divers do you want to accomodate? Uncle Pug with it's large open deck, tank rack, swim grid/ladder and inboard diesel can economically dive 8 with a boat driver to boot... as long as no one is in a hurry to get there. My 17' Boston Whaler Montauk 170 can dive two comfortably and gets there and back in a hurry.

I used to own a boat. (17 foot) outboard, I know, some may not even consider that a boat, but it met my needs. Problem was, I couldn't even get it out of the back yard for less then 30 bucks each time.. you figure in fuel... at current cost,15.00 if your lucky, fuel for your tow vehicle, 25.00, then food, 10.00, then put in fees. 10.00 to 20.00 each time, then lures, bait, beer, and misc. 25.00 man it was cheaper to go to the market, plus I didn't get yelled at for coming back with a buzz on by the wife. Cheaper to buy fish at the market, or go beg UP to take you. you can't believe how many people think it is all on the house BTW. They seem to think all this stuff costs nothing to me. Those costs I mentioned BTW are for a bare bones day trip, no frills, and doesn't include the yearly maintenance that you'll need to do which can run from 400.00 up to infinity. Sorry about the bad attitude, but "been there, done that, lost tons of money" . Unless you plan on going out every week, your money ahead to just save those bucks and pay to have someone take you out, plus you never get stuck cleaning the boat after all your "friends" leave. BTW same rule applies to tractors.

Confronted with these tradeoffs I am taking a different tack -- wish me luck. I have big ideas, limited cash and woodworking skills. so I am building a boat! I'll invite you diving when its finished (2 years). It will be my third (and biggest) boatbuilding project.

Windminstrel:
Howdy folks,

You need to tell us a few things before anyone can offer relivent advice:

1) Where will you use the boat.? How long are the trips? What is at each end?

2) How long are the trips in miles and time?

3) What is your budget range?

4) How many people will be on the boat?

As for how to learn, look up the "US Power Squadron" (sp?) and the
US Coast Guard Auxilarry (sp?) In my opinion boating without formal instruction is about as dumb as diving without instruction. Both can get you killed

One BIG difference between a dive boat and your (or my) boat is that there is no crew other then the divers. You would need a _very_ secure anchorage to leave a boat un attended. So you can't just drop an anchor and jump overthe side. No one would be there to re-anchor if the wind changed. Basically this means you will have to anchor afarther off and do a bet of a swim.

I take a couple aspirin and lay down for a while and the feeling passes. :eyebrow:

Remember the two happiest days in a boat owners life.
The day he buys.
The day he sells.
:D

As a long time boat owner and diver for me the main advantage to owning my own boat is going when you want, where you want and making your own rules on how and with what and with who you dive. Yes, depending how much you dive chartering would probably will be cheaper but what is the cost of freedom.

Captain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom