Thinking of buying a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 19' with a cuddy cabin gas I/O and stand up canvas enclosure. I would not even think about an ocean boat without a cuddy cabin. They are dramatically safer in terms of the seas you can handle and they tend to have higher sides. I often dive/boat in your area (somewhat) in the Block Island Sound.

The after purchase costs are surprising when you first start out......

Bottom paint - $400 job for a boat my size (this is a very good price). You will save lots of money if you do it yourself but it is a decent project.

Mooring - $1000 a season depending upon your area. A slip will increase the cost by 2/3's to double. If you do not own a house/driveway you need to consider the cost for trailer storage for the summer and winter storage for boat/trailer.

You may also choose to trailer each time you want to go out. This will certainly save the money above. You definitely need 4wd to launch/retrieve an ocean boat. At low tide your tires are in the slime and 2wd will not cut it.

Insurance - surpringly inexpensive at $350 p/yr.

Equipment - for ocean use you should have GPS, depth gauge, VHF, lifejackets including one throwable, emergency signal kit, maps, binoculars, spare parts like fuses/belt, backup battery system, fenders, line, anchor/chain/line, spot lights, etc., etc. Also add in the cost for installation of the larger items unless you can do it yourself.

Annual service - if you are a mechanic you will be in good shape. If you need to pay for it you need annual oil/filter change, anodes changed every other year, bottom paint every other year, and then of course eventually larger parts like water circulating pumps will need to be replaced, etc.

Many items above depend upon whether you choose to trailer and store at home. If you trailer each trip you do not need bottom paint, you do not need to replace your anodes as often, etc.

The best days as a boat owner come when you are diving an offshore wreck on your own schedule. Then you cruise to a nice protected harbor with tunes, lunch, drinks, and ladies. Kick back with your shoes off with a stiff drink in hand under the canvas with a nice ocean breeze......ah.......I am reminded very often how much I love owning a boat. My season is from mid April to late November depending upon weather. This year I was in (Massachusetts) the second weekend in April. I have been diving wrecks every weekend that cost $75 with the local charter company. Next weekend I will be diving the U853 with two other buddies and spending the weekend at Block Island (weather permitting). The U853 charter costs $100 a pop.

Every year you own a boat you will learn a lot and get more refined. My experience is better and safer with each passing year. In addition to all the above I have a tri-lens radar reflector and a small outboard to serve as a backup kicker and dinghy power.

--Matt

Chuck Tribolet:
Don't buy a boat to save money. I dive Monterey about
60 days a year. Six and a half years ago, I bought a 17'
Boston Whaler. My most optimistic estimates say I'm
going to break even sometime this year. The pessimistic
ones say I never will.

I never will come even close to break even. I own a 36ft sailboat
which in turn carries an inflatable with outboard. I could do a charter dive boat trip every weekend for less then the monthy cost of ownership. "BOAT" stands for "Break Out Another Thousand".

If you think diving is equipment intensive and expensive, try
sailboat racing

But the sailboat let's me do more, I can take a 10 day trip up
to the Calif. Channel Islands and four to six people can live
comfortably on the boat for a couple weeks.

I go to all the boat shows and read the Boat Trader and start to lose control and want a boat. Then the missus reels me back into reality.

Recently I got a mailing from the Freedom Boat Club. I haven't contacted them yet, but the concept sounds great. All the upside of having access to a boat, but none of the headaches of ownership. This might be the way to go.

Marc

Exactly my point, it won't save money, but your own boat
goes where you wanna go, when you wanna go, with whom
you wanna go.

Like the Farallones on Saturday. It was an 80 mile round
trip, but the diving was worth it.

I've often thought about purchasing an older boat and 'fixing' it up. I've kept an eye out and have seen some pretty nice boats sell for extremely low prices. Trollers in the 30-32 foot range are as low as 3000 with nice ones in the 8-10 thousand range. If a fella had the time and know how he could have a really nice boat.

Wouldn't a Tug boat be sweet?!

Most of these project boats are never completed though. This makes me chicken.

DrDuktayp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom