Thinking of moving to FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw a commercial offering flights from Fort Lauderdale to the bahamas for $15. lol. I'm not sure if thats a place you're looking for but my dad brought back 100lbs of fish from a weekend trip across. I am going to have to agree with a couple of the above posters and say.. "Come to Broward!" I am new here (a year exactly from New Jersey) and I have been having the best time so far. Close enough to all the "commotion" but can go home to a nice, kind of quiet neighborhood. I don't know anything about cave diving though so that may make you lean toward Orlandoo.

Broward for sure! Im partial to Deerfield Beach. Broward is central to everything you need. Miami is just south and West Palm just north. If youre moving to Fl you will not regret your move to Broward.

Please bring batteries, ice, water, blue tarps, and plywood!

Oh, and don't forget that if you move to Broward or N. Dade you will have access to hundreds of cool ScubaBoard dive buddies, there are a bunch of us here!

OH NO!!!!:shakehead:

The ole' EAST Coast of F L A ---WEST Coast of F L A war is about to begin again!!!:angrymob:

Way to go ScubaSam......are you friggin' happy now??:crazyeye:

Blam! BLAM BLAM!!....Wif' cryin' in the skuh-reets...... :biggun:

Lawdy lawdy.......when will it end....:argument:

BLAM!:ar15:

Chug
(addicted to smilies, need help)

from experience, I can tell you that there's a lot more culture shock here than you will expect. Some of it is subtle: it stays hot all night, the landscape is very flat, and people don't have that superficial politeness that makes northern california such a pleasant place to live. 90% of the population seems to be from new jersey or long island- which translates into general lack of common experience- Californians are way more isolated than we realize.

That being said, the diving is MUCH better here than California. There's no two ways about it, you'll get over the kelp and cold water quickly and wonder why you ever thought scaling down a cliff to a rocky shore entry with 25 lbs of lead and 14mm of neoprene ever sounded like a fun idea. Also, the job market for legal secretaries is pretty strong right now. Unfortunately, about the only thing the florida courts have in common with the california courts is that the judges wear black robes.

True dat!!! (My dad owned a few small aircraft and I think he actually did have a Mooney at one time.)

I'm over four hours from LARGO, FL but when I had a house in KEY LARGO, FL I could get there in 80 minutes if I timed traffic right. And I always did. :D

I just saw a commercial offering flights from Fort Lauderdale to the bahamas for $15. lol. I

Ya, but that's probably on Spirit so you'll end up paying $350 round trip after all you fees for checked bags, curbside and everything else they screw you on.

My wife and I moved from New York to Orlando about three years ago (yes I am one of those New York/New Jersey transplants you speak so fondly of :mooner:). We were not originally divers, but we got hooked very quickly. I got sick of travelling from Orlando to West Palm Beach every weekend. Spring diving in the Orlando area is very nice, but gets boring quickly. A lot of the divers I know in Orlando travel to the Southeast area.

After 2 years of massive driving, we moved to Miami. No habla espanol, so it was a heck of a shock. Now we drive to Broward or Key Largo for all of our diving. After the initial culture shock we have decided that we absolutely love Miami. Diving is better in Broward and the upper keys, but I am a city person and Miami is a great place to be.

Cruises and liveaboards are the dive vacation of choice. Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps in your decision.

OH NO!!!!:shakehead:

The ole' EAST Coast of F L A ---WEST Coast of F L A war is about to begin again!!!:angrymob:

Way to go ScubaSam......are you friggin' happy now??:crazyeye:

Blam! BLAM BLAM!!....Wif' cryin' in the skuh-reets...... :biggun:

Lawdy lawdy.......when will it end....:argument:

BLAM!:ar15:

Chug
(addicted to smilies, need help)

Chug aka Smilies Addict,

I thought there were some good information in that thread if you can side step the east coast west coast posts. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom