Thinking of Moving to Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropicaledit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I'm over in South Florida. I'm seriously considering moving to Hawaii. Is there any recommendations people can make about living there. I'm thinking of either Maui or the Big Island. I hear job opportunities are better there.

Any replies appreciated.

Job opportunities in what field? Other than the service industries taking care of the hordes of tourists, there is precious little in Maui. A smattering of high-tech stuff.

Vast majority of jobs are on Oahu, as are the majority of people. You should really do some serious research before such a jump. Unless you are independently wealthy or have a unique skill that someone here is willing to pay well for, you may struggle to make ends meet.

Have you done a visit there? There are always jobs available but not many jobs will cover the cost of living which is similar to the Florida Keys. Cost of living is similar too to the Keys. They have heavy handed politics on the islands.

Ditto everything above. I lived on Maui for a number of years and had to go back to the mainland for about 6 years, 5 of those in Southeast Florida. Job market here is worse than South Florida. Stats won't indicate that accurately but living here vs there will demonstrate it very quickly. You have many more options in South Florida within driving distance and SIGNIFICANTLY less cost of living.

Primarily two income levels here on Maui-

Top level executives with large tourist based businesses, medical/legal professionals, or top level high performance computer system jobs with Cray systems (all of which are very limited and have little turn over) or direct service jobs in hotel/activity/or service industry. The top level jobs are very hard to come by but can make life comfortable though still expensive with incomes in the 45K to 75K plus range.

Basic service jobs make it almost impossible to afford the cost of living unless you have a partner to share the cost. Pay is usually in the 15K to 20k range with the occassional job reaching 25k to 30k.

Example: 1 room efficiency possibly with hot plate and microwave is usually 600.00 to 850.00 per month not incl utilities, milk $4.50-8.00/gal, gas $3.85-3.95/gal, etc.

I'm currently still in Maui and wish I could afford to be forever but it is hard to swallow that I could be paying 1/2 the rent for a place twice the size in South Florida and could spent 1/3 less on food there. You won't likely have any money to put in savings here.

Good luck-try visit!

Thanks all for that info. I find it very helpful. I just wanted to get some opinions from there before doing something like that. If I did this, my first step would be visiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom