Thinking of Switching to Hoseless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use the luna and have never had a lost signal to my knowledge although I suppose it may have lost and found itself befor I noticed as I do not stare at it while under water. I generally try to check it every few min for about 20 seconds. It'll beep and remind me that I only have (X psi.) Left and need to wined down my dive soon. I do not use a spg. On my primary rig but I do on my pony bottle. Im just not willing to buy a 2nd transmitter for my pony. My button gauge on my pony cost 8 bucks my transmitter cost much more! So I opt for one less hose myself.

If you want to try it without breaking the bank, I'm selling my Suunto Vytec and transmitter.......shameless plug[emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP did not say whether he runs DSAT or PZ+ on his PP3, in this, case he would have to be willing to switch to Suunto RGBM

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2015 at 06:01 AM ----------

I have a Gallielo Luna computer which I generally love. Granted, it's big, but it's easy to read. However, it also stops communicating with the transmitter from time to time. It happened last week when I was inside the Vandenberg wreck in Key West. It came back a few seconds later, but it was a little worrisome. Even though I'm thinking about getting a newer computer, I'm definately going to be adding an old-school lp pressure gauge as well for backup.

I've never lost my transmitter connection for more than a 30 sec sample period, most of these I was never aware of. The loss of link is displayed graphically and shown in the table when you download the dives. (See post #5 re computer and dives)

Really, the way to think of it is to use the AI as your primary readout, but always have a small connected SPG as redundancy. I dive boat dives a lot and would not to abort a dive and lose the $$$ just because the battery in my transmitter died. Overall, though, AI is usually pretty reliable. I have several hundred dives on mine and, while I have had about 5 occasions where the computer and transmitter lost sync, they synched right up again within a minute or so and kept on going. I have not had a battery die because my computer warns me. Still, I will never drop the connected spg.

I have never lost a dive because of any failures of the computer or the transmitter. For me, I am only able to go on 2 or 3 trips a year. I change the battery in the computer and the transmitter once a year. The transmitter is especially simple to change the battery. My computer shows the battery condition of the transmitter but I have changed them once a year anyway. I keep a hosed SPG and an extra battery in my bag if I do have a failure it would be easy to fix. Never had a problem with a sync and the loss of a signal might last all of 10 or 15 seconds.

Really, the way to think of it is to use the AI as your primary readout, but always have a small connected SPG as redundancy. I dive boat dives a lot and would not to abort a dive and lose the $$$ just because the battery in my transmitter died. Overall, though, AI is usually pretty reliable. I have several hundred dives on mine and, while I have had about 5 occasions where the computer and transmitter lost sync, they synched right up again within a minute or so and kept on going. I have not had a battery die because my computer warns me. Still, I will never drop the connected spg.

Yeah, I agree completely. That's exactly why I'll be adding a separate pressure gauge soon. It sure is nice having very few hoses though! Of course at some point I'll probably add a hose for the dry suit too :)

Back
Top Bottom