Thinking to solo dive ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick, thank you for that picture of the old suit and old Ft Walton. Very cool. Thanks. I have been thinking to get one of those Aquala type rubber suits with the oral inflator and manual "wrist seal" dump valve--ha. Well, for solo diving there is enough to contend with without getting to adventurous even in my minimalist world. As to solo, if you don't have it then it cannot break, if you don't really need it then why increase the risk of failure. Simple and robust is better than complex and multiple failure prone systems, just my thought on it, each to their own. Solo divers tend to be non conformist, rebels, loners. I don't think there will ever be a concensus as there is in the DIR world, the two types of people exist on opposite ends of the spectrum. I read the Solo Diving book by John Mahr or read the course synopsis or this artical or that opinion and it is all just that --opinion on how it should be done and that is one of the things that makes true solo diving different--we solo divers get to do it OUR way, whatever way that might be. The "guru" can stand there and critique me, shake his head and consider that I don't know what I am doing, that is OK, I will take my chances on that. Well, y'all all have a great 08. Adios.

N

I dive both solo and with buddies (both instant and planned) depending on pleasure, work or spearfishing.
Always solo spearfishing. As said earlier "going in the water with someone who does not have visual contact with you is 2 solo divers in same area.
Quality equiptment, good training, experience and the temperment not to panic, but react decisively is the best we can do.
Just remember, more diving accidents and fatalities occur in buddy situations than solo divers. There are more solo divers out there than you think.
A "bad buddy" is worse than no buddy.

Yeah.. that was me :( I fell victim to an internet marketing scam and got all Apeks regs because it was claimed that they are God's gift to divers. :( Oh well, I'll know better next time.

Apeks regs are good in cold water near freezing only if the right guy tweaks them, Living in Ottawa I am lucky to have a guy that does a great job at my LDS. Kevin is his name if your around go to the Kanata Diving Center. Should help you out no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom