|| This close to buying a drysuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hex92

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok I have been reading the board, talking to people I know, and searching the web. I have been going back and forth between a semi-dry and dry. I think i have decided on dry. Mainly because the water temperature off Virginia Beach didn't get above 52 F at depth in 2003 until Hurricane Isabel came through.

I don't want to spend more than $1000 on the setup (suit, underware, hood) and I think a shell suit is the way to go. I'm tall (6'4") and thin (195 lbs) so that limits the companies that I can get an off the rack suit from. So taking all of this into consideration I have all but decided to go with the Bare Nex-Gen. I can get the entire package for $975 CND ($750 US).

Is this my best bet? I wanted to post to the board to see if anyone had an idea of another manufacturer that I should look at.

thnx

I applaud your decision to go dry. I started in a semi-dry. It's a great suit, but I should have just saved my money and went dry.

In terms of suit selection, there are a number of entry level suits out there. As a 6'4" 220 lb guy myself, I thought the Nex-Gen XXL was freakin HUGE on me. Even the legs were too long! I could have fit two of me in there. Depending on your build, try a stock XL - even if it says it's too short on the size charts, I fit into an XL DUI as if it was custom. Most of my height is in my torso, not my legs (34" inseam.)

I know Dive-Rite is supposed to have a good suit out now as well, but the name escapes me... the 900 something?

The Bare Nex-Gen appears to be a fairly decent suit. I've had a Tri-Lam HD for a number of years and it's been a very good suit. Still going strong.
If the suit fits, buy it!! That price seems very good for a complete setup, but I'm not all that familiar with current Bare pricing.

MD

Send a private message to Bob3 on the board. He's a great resource on drysuit sizing and deals in the Viking suits.

The Bare Nex-Gen is a very decent suit for the money. I dove one for an entire winter spearfishing and had zero trouble with it.

hex92:
Ok I have been reading the board, talking to people I know, and searching the web. I have been going back and forth between a semi-dry and dry. I think i have decided on dry. Mainly because the water temperature off Virginia Beach didn't get above 52 F at depth in 2003 until Hurricane Isabel came through.

I don't want to spend more than $1000 on the setup (suit, underware, hood) and I think a shell suit is the way to go. I'm tall (6'4") and thin (195 lbs) so that limits the companies that I can get an off the rack suit from. So taking all of this into consideration I have all but decided to go with the Bare Nex-Gen. I can get the entire package for $975 CND ($750 US).

Is this my best bet? I wanted to post to the board to see if anyone had an idea of another manufacturer that I should look at.

thnx
Well I'm also tall and thin and I found that Bare had many more sizes than most of the other manufactures. I'm 6' and 163 lbs and the MT was a great fit for me. Note: Leisure Pro only shows less then 1/2 of the sizes available for the Next Gen (In case thats where you were looking)

And Yes I like the Next Gen.

I have the Trilam ATR light, which I think is one step above the NextGen, and it is great. I have no complaints!

I'm not buying from Leisure Pro since they don't carry tall sizes. I am right on the line between a Large Tall and XLT. Of course every dive shop listed on Bare's website as being a dealer in this area doesn't have a single suit in stock so I can't try one on.

I was going to buy from Divesource.com (located in canada), but a LDS - and by local I mean 55 miles away :frown: - that gives my place of employment a price break can sell it to me for the same price ($750 + tax). So I guess I will buy it from them. Its worth the extra $37 to have a semi-local store with a pool for support.

ps- the Viking drysuits are just too expensive. I know they are good suits, but I don't want to pay $250 more.

I was in the market for a dry suit about this time last year and I went and tried on the bear tri in my local dive shop and I hated it. I am broad in the shoulders and it was a bastard to get off and on. I got this one from http://www.divers-supply.com heres another pic http://divemar.com/Divemar/docs/typhoon.html for $650 ( THEY where ASKING $850 ) mailed to my house. I tried alot of suits on at my LDS and they had this one there for $1200. So all in all I recomend you find a store or friend thats got one and try it on. My suit had a zipper thats about 4 inches longer and man doe it help me to get in and out.

Dont forget about eBay. If you know what you want, really know what you want and are patient you can save some bucks.

I have tortured myself over this very thing for quite a few months. I actually had my Chief Financial Officer (Wife) talked into a $1700 suit. It was really going to cost me double that as I was going to have to let her buy a bunch of new furniture.

But I watched ebay like a hawk. I knew I wanted a DUI CF200. I almost won one from a guy that only lived a few miles away! He even let me come over and try it on. So I knew the size I needed for sure. If you find THE suit. Look at the companies website and get the measurement instructions. If you are an oddball size this may not work. I am tall but have a shorter torso in relation to my legs and gorilla arms. The telescoping torso was a real plus in this regard.

To make a long story short, I only spent $788 for a two year old DUI CF200 with the underwear and rock boots! I thought that was a pretty good deal. Its even the color I like (black). The rock boots are not going to fit, but I dont care. I'll sell them and either buy rock boots that fit or some converse chuck taylors.

p.s.- hex92 If your interested PM me. I know of a DUI TLS thats on ebay. Been watching it. I think it might fit you. Its on its second listing. If you want it, lemme know I might have a strategy, that may work on the auction. I thought about it. Really wanted the CF, but this one looks good. If my other fell through I was looking at this one as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom