Used drysuit from storage - what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meyden

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to get into some cold water diving, but don't want to go all out just yet in terms of suit. So I'm looking at a used Bare CD4 Pro Dry crushed neoprene dry suit, around ten years old and only 15 dives on it. It's been stored for some years now and I'd have to buy it sight unseen as the seller lives pretty far from me.
Neck seal is new and wrist seals show no signs of dry rot and zipper works perfectly says the seller.

It would be around 500 bucks, including a Bare Hi-Loft undergarment (which looks to be around 350 new) and dry glove connectors with gloves. Should I take the risk? What's the worst that could happen if the seller can be trusted that it has no punctures, beyond having to replace the seals?

Thanks for any advice!

I'd plan on new seals and perhaps gloves. You can only hope the owner treated the zipper well. Other than that, crushed neoprene is (a) very tough, (b) ages very well, and (c) is very easy to seal up if it gets a small hole in it--a little dab of glue and it's usually good to go.

Only thing I’d be actually worried about is the seam sealant having dried out.

To sum up what has been said so far; the worst you can expect it is all junk and doesn’t fit but that is offset a bit if you like the undergarments you will have over paid for those and you may get a good set of drygloves.

is the storage was good and it wasn’t stored with the zipper closed it may be fine. I assume latex seals so take a real good look at them, stretch them to look for any cracking etc. if they feel sticky even a little replace them before using it in anything other than a pool.

To sum up what has been said so far; the worst you can expect it is all junk and doesn’t fit but that is offset a bit if you like the undergarments you will have over paid for those and you may get a good set of drygloves.

is the storage was good and it wasn’t stored with the zipper closed it may be fine. I assume latex seals so take a real good look at them, stretch them to look for any cracking etc. if they feel sticky even a little replace them before using it in anything other than a pool.
Don’t be scared about working on the suit yourself too. There is a good channel called drysuit projects or something on YouTube. It’s just glue it’s more intimidating when you’re working on a 3500 dollar suit but I’ve made quiet a few eBay suits be dry

Thanks everyone - I pulled the trigger, excited to discover more loval dives while staying warm.

Make sure the boots fit your feet. I can't see what the zipper is made out of, but the metal teeth ones do have a life span. They tend to get "fur" as the fabric edges start to fall apart, you can (carefully) burn that off with a lighter so it doesn't get caught up in the zipper and wax it before you start pulling on it. Also, the neoprene neck seals are great but make sure you grab and fold it under a good inch and a half or two inches after you get your head through it, that's how they work! Put that thing on with no gear and some fins, go flop around in the water and see if you get wet and pay close attention to where you are getting wet first. The usual suspects are wrist and neck seals, size or falling apart, and the zipper. If you're getting wet, put some clamps on the wrist and neck seals, blow it up, and see if you can spot some bubbles by spraying soapy water on it or submerging it.

Make sure the boots fit your feet. I can't see what the zipper is made out of, but the metal teeth ones do have a life span. They tend to get "fur" as the fabric edges start to fall apart, you can (carefully) burn that off with a lighter so it doesn't get caught up in the zipper and wax it before you start pulling on it. Also, the neoprene neck seals are great but make sure you grab and fold it under a good inch and a half or two inches after you get your head through it, that's how they work! Put that thing on with no gear and some fins, go flop around in the water and see if you get wet and pay close attention to where you are getting wet first. The usual suspects are wrist and neck seals, size or falling apart, and the zipper. If you're getting wet, put some clamps on the wrist and neck seals, blow it up, and see if you can spot some bubbles by spraying soapy water on it or submerging it.
I find just wearing cotton shirts under the suit in the pool is a good way to figure out where leaks are too for the first few pool dives

Back
Top Bottom