'This is 911. What is your emergency?' How prepared are you for a medical emergency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job being there, being trained, and being willing to help, Pete!

The signs of his illness are similar to a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) that my grandmother experienced. Her ability to PRODUCE intelligible speech was temporarily impaired (jibberish came out). At the same time she remained able to understand the spoken word. This was a frightening experience for her.

It sounds like your fellow also had his balance and coordination impaired... I'm glad you were there to help him and his wife.

Great post NetDoc!

I have a question for the medical professionals (EMT's, nurses, doctors, etc.).

Obviously calling 911 is the first task. However, is it useful to obtain vitals and basic information (AVPU, etc.)? As the change in vitals can be important? Or does EMS typically not find value in that?
If you have them. Great. If not... my world still turns.
What is more important than vital signs is an accurate history if what happened prior to calling 911 and what has happened since the call. Eg. Pt had full body rigidity and shaking lasting X number of minutes. He has been resting since it stopped.
That gives me a lot of info that I can relay to the ED.

I can take vitals when I arrive. I cant get a history unless someone relays it
[emoji603]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom