This Is How A Single Drop Of Seawater Looks Magnified 25 Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

umbert

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
sealifeDM0511_1024x681.jpg
Product

P.S.
not sure if this is good section...but at least related to photography :)

So, y'all never remove your mask at depth to clear a little fog? Do you not squint underwater to see where you're going? I've been doing it for years and none of those little critters has caused a problem.

So, y'all never remove your mask at depth to clear a little fog? Do you not squint underwater to see where you're going? I've been doing it for years and none of those little critters has caused a problem.

if only those critters could be trained to defog the mask, I wouldn't have to put my disgusting spit in my mask :)

I used to spit in my mask, then rinse it with sea water. After looking in a microscope I think I'm better off not rinsing. :)

2mysidsredondocanyon10-30-08.jpg

Yeah, you might not want to look too close at your spit either.

Smorgasbord !!!!!!......Now where did I put my fork ????.....

As a marine biologist I can assure you that is NOT what a single drop of water looks like under a microscope. Try it some time. That is what a single drop of water taken from a plankton sample looks like after LOTS of sea water has been filtered through the plankton net.

I'd be much more worried about all the invisible fish poopies (not to mention pinniped and whale poopies) you don't see!

Dr. Bill is right. Even in Santa Monica Bay in June when the water can be quite green you don't find this much stuff in the water. I am quite sure that this is from David Liittschwager and this photo is a representation of all of the creatures that went through a single cubic foot of his. If you haven't seen his stuff look at "A World in a Cubic Foot" Marine Miniatures - National Geographic Magazine is the full story. Sad to see that this photo is being used to sell Dive Shield, I wonder if David knows they are using it?
Complete BS from the Dive Shield folks.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom