this new hobby is addictive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know what you are talking about. All the dives I have done save one has been in quarries with 3-20' vis. It is kind of freaky to just be swimming blindly trying to get to the next thing you want to see.

Didn't know what to do with myself when I went spring diving and could really see!

Jeff

You might as well have taken up heroin for a hobby. And yes it's about that expensive. But worth it, and you don't end up in a gutter.

Your quarry experience does sound a bit harrowing. If you don't mind the drive sometime, come to Blue Water quarry in B'ham. Much better vis than you had. And it's just amazing to me that we get a BUNCH of cars from Atlanta every weekend. Blue Water appears to be the only thing that B'ham has that Atlanta doesn't.

Happy Diving,

Beck

maggs_the:
and expensive! and occasionally a little unnerving. ok, i just admitted i'm not the bravest gal out there, but at 35ft in murky water with no top, no bottom, no front and no back when everyone else has left the quarry and there's not even a fish to be found.. me & my buddy were just a little spooked.. altho, she'll NEVER admit it! :eyebrow: but we held out and kept our cool and even tho i'm only one-month certified, we navigated our way thru the total nothingness to the underwater forest at Martha's Quarry in Lebanon, Tennessee. Ok, so it wasn't a HUGE accomplishment, but it felt good for me :dazzler1:

Seasquatch:
I hate low viz. Never know whats out there :)
Even more than not knowing what's out there, I just usually don't see the point. I'm there to see the fish, life, and stuff that's in the water - without vis, why bother?

I've dove in water before where looking down from the surface, we couldn't see our fins. After doing that a couple of times, I made the rule that if vis is less than 5', I don't bother. And, I really think hard if it's going to be less than 10'.

Seasquatch:
I hate low viz. Never know whats out there :)

Monsters!!!

The same monsters that used to live under my bed when I was a kid! That is what is out there!

:jaws:

cancun mark:
Monsters!!!

The same monsters that used to live under my bed when I was a kid! That is what is out there!

ok, now your skeering me :bravo: HAHAHAHAHA

Paul

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only.

don

:D

saf_25:
Even more than not knowing what's out there, I just usually don't see the point. I'm there to see the fish, life, and stuff that's in the water - without vis, why bother?

I've dove in water before where looking down from the surface, we couldn't see our fins. After doing that a couple of times, I made the rule that if vis is less than 5', I don't bother. And, I really think hard if it's going to be less than 10'.

we had just paid for an air fill and wanted to use as much as possible for one.. for two, we're taking our navigation course in a week and figured in a confined quarry, it'd be good to get a feel for what we'd need to be able to do in a bigger lake or in the open ocean. but mostly cause i'm cheap and did not want to hand the tank back half full :wink:

cancun mark:
Monsters!!!

ok Mark and Paul!!!! you're FREAKING me out! and if you saw some of our pics from the "underwater forest", well, it wasn't a lot less frightening than the wide open nothingness. what was i expecting, pretty green leaves?? ha!

i dont see how it would survive in the quarry, but i had almost convinced myself there was NOT a monster in there and you've just gone and reignited my nightmares.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom