This sounds like a death that shouldn't happened.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should not have happened since, according to the report, he was a certified diving instructor. There is. O speculation. I the UK there will probably be a Coroners Inquest, which is. Court of Law which will have evidence put to them before a cause of death is listed. This will be public and without speculation.
I am very new to diving and to this forum, but I have noticed that many of the posters with a great deal of posts are very arrogant to the noobs which I am one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stand corrected, this accident happened in Ireland which is not part of the UK and therefor not subject to their laws. Sorry for the misleading statement.

How is it that the death of a diver is a death that should have happened? How do others know that this instructor was a bad diver?

The guy has 10 posts, joined Scubaboard last month is a new diver and some feel they gotta bust his chops.

:clapping::clapping:

Way to go! What a great job of welcoming a new diver. <sarcasm>

Not busting his chops at all.

Read his OP, and try to decipher how any sane person can come to any conclusions about anything other than a guy died despite getting CPR...

Regardless, nice welcome to the new guy.

Not busting his chops at all.

Read his OP, and try to decipher how any sane person can come to any conclusions about anything other than a guy died despite getting CPR...

Regardless, nice welcome to the new guy.

Ok, so I'm supposed to abandon all ability to reasonably question a post because this guy is new....not going to happen...ever.

Reactions: Jax
It sounds as though the OP read the statement that the deceased was an instructor, and concluded that someone with that much training and experience should not die diving.

What he may not know is how little experience and training it takes to become an open water instructor. In addition, becoming an instructor does not necessarily improve your judgment, and it does nothing for your physical condition. One might assume that an instructor would be unlikely to run out of gas, or have a bad uncontrolled ascent (although the former may or may not be true). But an instructor might very well get into water conditions that are beyond him, or fail to handle an emergency situation underwater adroitly. And an instructor would be as likely as anyone else to experience a medical emergency in the water.

It's easy to come out of one's open water class with a profound admiration for dive instructors. After all, they make everything look so easy . . . but they are human and mortal, and as you gain experience in the diving world, you realize how little above you most instructors actually sit.

I stand corrected, this accident happened in Ireland which is not part of the UK and therefor not subject to their laws. Sorry for the misleading statement.
County Tyrone is one of the six counties of Northern Ireland, and so is very much part of the UK although, like Scotland, its legal system has some differences from English Law.

The Accidents and Incidents section also features a lot of critical analysis, including of one another's speculation. People can put forth speculative ideas, but they are apt to be analyzed and challenged. The adage 'attack the idea, not the person' comes into play.

Richard.

All deaths SHOULD happen...and they all do. Our lives have an expiration date, and if that date and time comes during a dive...I guess that should answer the question.

I' say that covers sudden illness deaths while diving (which for instance DAN will not classify as a diving death). I don't believe it is written in someone's stars that they will for instance, die because of breathing the wrong stage gas and suffering an oxTox/drowning. These are the deaths we feel should not happen. The grim reaper can have the man if he must, but we would prefer that scuba be left out of the equation.

I' say that covers sudden illness deaths while diving (which for instance DAN will not classify as a diving death). I don't believe it is written in someone's stars that they will for instance, die because of breathing the wrong stage gas and suffering an oxTox/drowning. These are the deaths we feel should not happen. The grim reaper can have the man if he must, but we would prefer that scuba be left out of the equation.

The point is that people die. Are some of those deaths preventable?? Of course. But show me one substantial piece of information in the article linked by the OP that gives even the slightest hint of WHY this man died. You won't find it.

OP...take this as a lesson learned and if you are going to post a link about a fatality, pay attention to how DandyDon does it. "Diver dies at -------" post the link and wait for more substantial information.

If anyone cares to google this incident you will find some additional information. I'll ignore the bashes and hope that I will not get attacked from these regulars
The reports say that a rouge wave might have been responsible. Either way I think I'll leave the forum to all you experts

Back
Top Bottom