Thoughts on Dive computers especially Oceanic Datamask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really good info everyone. I have never lost a mask either and deal with surface chop, sometimes heavy on most dives. My primary concern so far is the cost vs longevity. I find myself replacing masks every couple of years. Anyone had one for over a year?

Really good info everyone. I have never lost a mask either and deal with surface chop, sometimes heavy on most dives. My primary concern so far is the cost vs longevity. I find myself replacing masks every couple of years. Anyone had one for over a year?

12 years

I don't think that one needs to equate socal diving in surf with getting your masks ripped off your face. When wave comes, hold mask to face. If surf is too big, don't go in. Of course, I've also made the rookie mistake though of underestimating the surf at hand before... I've had the same mask since OW a little less than 2 years ago. I wouldn't buy the Oceanic mask though because I am too cheap. I could buy 6 or 7 of my current mask for the price of the Oceanic mask. I would probably rather spend the money on other pieces of scuba equipment.

Last edited:
My buddy has one. I want one. I think they are way cool. Even for ascent, rather than having to raise my arm to view my computer... having all this info immediately to sight seems brill.

I mean come on folks, none of you seen Terminator 1?

I don't think that one needs to equate socal diving in surf with getting your masks ripped off your face. When wave comes, hold mask to face. If surf is too big, don't go in.

Maybe ripped off wasn't the right phrase....I have, however, lost a mask in the surf because I wasn't paying attention (well, I was, but I was paying attention to the new divers I was trying to get in....surf wasn't even that bad, but I managed to lose it). I also know of a number of other divers who have lost masks in the surf....probably an equal number who have lost fins as well. Sometimes Vet's is just hungry for gear!

Either way, it's an expensive mask....and if you're going to buy one, make sure that you won't be losing it!

You can attach the mask to your necklace, for example, and that'd go a long way towards not losing it.

Problem is the field of vision. I've got one of the widest FOV masks on the market and there is no way I'm sacrificing that for an integrated data display. High volume masks are a pain, too.

I don't think that one needs to equate socal diving in surf with getting your masks ripped off your face. When wave comes, hold mask to face. If surf is too big, don't go in. Of course, I've also made the rookie mistake though of underestimating the surf at hand before... I've had the same mask since OW a little less than 2 years ago. I wouldn't buy the Oceanic mask though because I am too cheap. I could buy 6 or 7 of my current mask for the price of the Oceanic mask. I would probably rather spend the money on other pieces of scuba equipment

I lost one shore diving by underestimating the power of the surf (I was holding it to my face, but it broke the strap nonetheless, so when I took my hand off, in and away it went).
I lost one shore diving by underestimating the frequency of the surf (wasn't holding it on my face).
I lost one boat diving during a surface swim (probably doing something stupid, all I remember is it no longer being there when I got back to the boat).
And I I lost one boat diving when I took off my bungeed regulator with it on my forehead (pop, over the side).

I have not taken it into a cave yet but I see no issue with it. As a matter of fact, I think it might actually be handy to have all that info at a glance instead of having to reach for and unclip gauges. While this may be unconventional to tech divers (I am a cave diver), it can make a dive more enjoyable if used with the appropriate redundancy. I also dive with an analog pressure gauge attached and a bottom timer and depth gauge (watch) on my wrist. Instead of subtracting gear from my rig, I just added a transmitter. If the battery in the mask dies or the battery compartment floods (which did happen to me on an OW dive), then I still have everything I need to complete the dive. My 1st stage has 2 HP ports so it's convenient for me. Be aware that there is a battery in both the transmitter and mask itself that are potential failure points.

I understand and respect the arguments regarding equipment failure. I don't feel that adding a transmitter places me at a greater risk when I have appropriate back up gear that I already use. The convenience of having the data available at a glance is what sold me on the mask. I am glad that I bought mine and would certainly do it again.
It is not Hog by any means but I see the attraction and there is something to be said for getting immediate depth and pressure information without having to move or shift position. That is the major reason I often clip my SPG to the left shoulder D-ring when carrying a stage. But the mask is going to have to get a lot cheaper and prove itself in demanding conditions before I'd start taking it cave diving.

And even a two gas nitrox option would make it much more attractive for North Flordia cave diving - a single gas computer just does not offer much for any type of technical diving unless it has a gauge mode.

Here's my two cents since I just used one last week for the first time.

Great idea and once they get it right I'll be first in line. I'll explain at the end.

Pluses:
- heads up is great
- Oceanic did it right with the information they provide. Not too much, not too little.

Downsides:
- yes, you get used to the reduced viz with the mask; but in the end you end up with a high-volume mask that DOES limit visibility
- heavy above water, positive buoyancy under
- yes you can be aware of conditions to not lose your mask, but s**t happens; you can't control the diver that kicks of your mask (happened to me), I lost my mask once when the arm of my camera took it off on a boat dive - tethering makes me nervous but would work and so does insurance - still a downside since a wrist or hose mounted device isn't easily lost.

By the way: Contacts OK, but I would go with corrective lenses as I'm near-sighted. If you are far-sighted I would think you have no option but contacts.

As to what it would take for me to buy a heads up:
- I think of heads up as what you see in a fighter plane. You can see thru the display. They do make LCD displays that you can see thru.
- Make it work on any mask. Gets rid of the fitting problem, high volume mask problem, and visibility
- Would love to see a slightly bigger display, not one limited by how much it blocks the lens

Price is an issue, but even when I was offered the opportunity to buy the mask I turned it down. Too many limitations and this is a first generation device. Being a retired electrical engineer from the big computer chip manafacturer I know that a better rig can, and will, be made.

I thought long and hard about going with HUD for many of the advantages pointed out in this thread. I tried it on in a shop, and it certainly felt like they got the visual balance right (as far as one can get a feel on dry land).

But ultimately I felt you didn't get much computer for the money, so I went with a wrist model that had more features for the same price.

If/when I replace my current computer sometime in the future, I'll certainly look at available HUD models again. Hopefully the technology will be more mature then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom