Thoughts on Dive Insurance (DAN)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I found the info I was looking for. Here's the link:

Benlife recreational diver protection plan

Haven't tried getting in touch with them, but for the price of one week-end of diving, you get insured for up to 400k, and 3recompression sessions. I'm sure DAN would come up with something more comprehensive, but it's an alternative. Not sure if it's solely limited to recreational diving though or how they define "recreational" ;D

If I find out more info, I'll update.

It's worth checking with DAN on which chamber in the Philippines actually accept DAN insurance, there has been incidents where DAN have not covered chamber costs here as the full approval procedure for cover was not carried out prior to the chamber been used, hence costs were not covered and as a result some chamber no longer except DAN insurance. I don't know enough details about the above to say if it's a problem on behalf of the insurer or the insured but either way there is clearly a problem.

I've had DAN insurance for several years here in the Philippines (and luckily never needed to use it), but will not be renewing next year as things stand - A local option may be worth looking into?

I'd also suggest an appropriately qualified and skilled technical diver is much less likely to need decompression treatment than most other divers, although I'd highly recommended looking into a PFO check if you're planning on doing a lot of decompression diving - if I had the choice between 1 year of DAN insurance or a PFO check I'd choose the later - however, based on the relative low cost of both against the risk the PFO check and the Insurance would be a good option!

If you're not sure about the issues between PFOs and diving trying Googling PFO and diving, I'm sure there's also a lot of threads on Scubaboard too - You'll be amazed how many divers are suffering from a PFO problems without knowing it!

Karl

We strongly recommend D.A.N.

Really DAN is about the only game in town, honestly for insurance go with largest network available.

Would love to hear from anyone in the PI who has had to use DAN, or had to go one of the decompression chambers for treatment. There was a thread a while back on the status chambers around the PI.

im a newly certified diver and was looking at DAN's website. Would love to understand diver's insurance. Can anyone explain please. Thank you.

I fired off an e-mail to DAN Asia Pacific regarding Batangas chambers no longer honoring their insurance. They replied that the chamber still honors DAN insurance but you have to contact DAN first (presumably through their hotline) and they will asses if/what treatment you need.

wrenco:

Basically its dive insurance in case you get bent and need to use a re-compression chamber (which can be very very expensive). DAN membership is actually different from insurance. As with other insurance providers, there are different plans with different coverage.

Thanks Sir Pao. But from what I read on their website, DAN only covers the transport costs and not the treatment itself.

Or is the DAN membership that covers the transport costs and the DAN insurance covers the treatment costs...is my understanding correct?

Appreciate the advices and help from Scuba Board members :D

Back
Top Bottom