Thoughts on Scubapro MK17/R395??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craley

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am upgrading my regs and have decided to go as high as my price range allows me which is about the middle...unfortunately.
I have got a really good deal on a full rig and would like some feedback on whether I should take it.
First stage: Scubapro MK17
2nd stage: Scubapro R395
Octupus: Mares (unsure of exact model)
SPG: Scubapro
I would be using this set up in water ranging from 12 degrees Celsius to 31 degrees (South Africa and Asia) and lots of different environments from kelp forests to coral reefs and wrecks...
I am upgrading from the equivalent of shop rental regs (SeacSub P-Synchro)...bought them when I was first starting and they have been fine and seen me through a couple of hundred dives with no problems but been feeling the strain with them especially at deeper depths.
So please let me know what your thoughts are.
Cheers

The MK 17 has been designed as a cold water reg and is equipped with ample ports; so it should serve you well for the type of diving you're doing. As long as you're happy, nothing else matters! For me I'm not a fan of Scubapro, so I'll restrict my comments further. Good luck with your purchase!

Hi, I am upgrading my regs and have decided to go as high as my price range allows me which is about the middle...unfortunately.
I have got a really good deal on a full rig and would like some feedback on whether I should take it.
First stage: Scubapro MK17
2nd stage: Scubapro R395
Octupus: Mares (unsure of exact model)
SPG: Scubapro

May I ask what regulator you're upgrading from?

MK17 is a diaphragm reg. I used one as a back up on my h-valve for a bit. Good little reg. I never had any issues with it but that being said the only issue I've ever had with any reg was when I cut my LP hose when spearfishing and that was my fault.

R395 is fine but I agree with ToddK, upgrade that to the G250V if you can. I have the G250V as primary and octo but my daughter has the R octo. It doens't breathe badly but it definately doesn't breathe as well as the G250V. Still if the package is just that and you can't change out the 2nd stage, then I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom