Three Gas Computer? DG03 or other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Scubapro Galileo Sol is an excellent 3 gas air integrated gas computer. The trimix free upgrade is now available.

OP: I was in your same boat...but I was even willing to spend up to $1k if I had to. I now have a DG03 and love it. Now, honestly....if you're doing Deco diving into Tec40 or above I'd skip the "computer" portion of it. I use mine as a gauge and stick to my schedule from vPlanner. However, for non-deco dives my DG03 is wonderful. I'm not saying the Deco algorithm sucks, I have no idea. I've never done a deco dive with it NOT in Gauge mode, so I can't comment on that very much. Also, I'm nearly Tec40 certified....so I shouldn't even be commenting on deco-diving in the first place :D

Last edited:
I use the Cochran EMC-20H as a back up to tables that I cut from MV Planner (free user friendly, Buhlmann C with gradient factors). The Cochran I set on limited conservative percent and use to get me out of the water fast in case I have a problem with the dive and need to ascend on an accelerated schedule.

Pros: -20 compartment algo is fast and well tested.
-autogas switching is good if you are task saturated.
-very reliable easy to program for dives.
-software has alot features.

Cons:- autogas switching is not great for cave diving with a zig zag profile.
-software will not calculate gas required and is cumbersome.
-cannot reject a gas switch in the water. What you planned is what you get.

Hope this helps.

For $1200 I can think of a few I'd choose over that one....

The only Liquivision I wouldn't mind having is the X1 and it's strictly to do with size. I'm sure they are all great computers.

The Shearwater Predator.

I have a Nitek Q Trimix but I won't recommend it based on the fact that I've been waiting 10 months for Dive Rite to release the software.

You should definitely go OLED. Any reason for three gases?

First off, you should determine if you need a computer that just does three gases or one that also does helium ... the latter will invariably be more expensive. My old Suunto Vytec could handle three gases, but didn't do helium ... and that computer was less than $600.

I've owned Liquivision X1's since before they were commercially available ... it's a great computer, but I still have issues with reliability. When they fail, they fail hard. My latest one failed in July, and it's still with LV while they're trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

I also have a Xen, which is just a bottom timer. Nice features and function ... but the batteries are proprietary, expensive, and don't last very long. The thing costs me roughly a dollar a dive for battery. The Xeo is the same form factor, just different software. They have a rechargeable option now, but it costs more.

I currently own a Shearwater Petrel. Nice computer, but a bit spartan on data to my concern. I'd prefer a computer that displays real-time average depth, for example ... I find that information quite useful on many dives. I do, however, like the fact that it uses a standard battery that's easily and cheaply replaceable.

I've owned a Nitek HE ... hated it. Never could understand someone producing a trimix computer that penalizes you for using helium. I bent the thing on every dive I ever did with it, because the algorithm wants you to get to 30 feet as quickly as possible and then spend all your deco time above that depth. Stupid way to dive, to my concern. I also don't like the "lock-out" feature. I much prefer computers that let you decide when you should dive.

I've owned a Cochran EMC-20H ... did three dives with it and sold the thing. I really disliked the auto-switch "feature".

Of them all, I like the function of the X1 the best ... but I'm hopeful the Petrel will prove to be a bit more reliable. When my X1 comes back I can see myself diving them both ... using the X1 as my primary and the Petrel as a backup.

Oh, and FWIW - the display on the Petrel is LCD, but it is as bright and easy to read as the oLED displays on the Xen and X1.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Predator and Petrel give both average depth in meters or feet, and average depth in atmospheres. Average depth in atmospheres can be useful for estimation of gas required to exit an overhead environment.

Bruce

I currently own a Shearwater Petrel. Nice computer, but a bit spartan on data to my concern. I'd prefer a computer that displays real-time average depth, for example ... I find that information quite useful on many dives. I do, however, like the fact that it uses a standard battery that's easily and cheaply replaceable.

The Predator and Petrel give both average depth in meters or feet, and average depth in atmospheres. Average depth in atmospheres can be useful for estimation of gas required to exit an overhead environment.

Bruce

Yes it does ... gonna correct my previous comment. I received an email from Tyler, who told me to press the right-hand button during the dive for more information. This scrolls through several screens. I found average depth on the third screen ... thanks.

Got some more questions ... gonna ask them in a more appropriate venue.

The more I use this computer, the better I'm liking it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2n is another option. Just got mine and I find it the mutts nuts....however having not used a SW Predator I couldn't comment on how they compare. I highly like the fact that the HW is open source and they update the firmware frequently. I don't think you can go wrong with either. From the research I have done, it would be a choice of:

HW OSTC 2n
SW Predator (maybe the Petrel but I don't know enough about it yet)
Liquivision Xeo

I'd hazard a guess and say any one of them will serve you very well :)

For readability, I prefer my Xeo over my Predator, as the numbers are bigger on the Xeo. The user interface (tap) on the xeo with gloves on is just superb, and intuitive.

As I noted above I have been cutting tables and using a Cochran EMC-20h for a back up for a fast way out of the water and have been happy doing open water/water wreck diving with the aforementioned MO. However, I am getting ready to taking a full cave course and this has gotten me thinking about the difficulty in dive planning with software (MV planner) and a dive computer running an algo that do not match up. The cochran analyst is a useful tool for logging/analyzing dives but not dive planning (cumbersome, no total gas required calculations etc).

In an effort to find a computer that runs openly available decompression models ie Buhlmann C with GF or VPM-B. I looked at the OSTC the Shearwater Predator/Petrel, Hollis DG05 and the Liquivision X-1. Based on the cost, capabilities, access to decompression models and reported customer service. I recently purchased the Petrel. I dont need the port for CCR operation on the and the Petrel seems to improve on the Predator in size, cost, battery replacement, memory and ability to run gauge mode.

I will post a review after I have had it in the water a couple of times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom