Thresher shark season in Bali. The slaughter begins again !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes i understand the local thinking.Not good and only think day to day,crazy

The craziest being westerns established for months or years in the area begining to think like locals beside having what locals don't : education. They just think about tommorow, not bothering about the day after tomorrow ...

As for the 2 OP'S on Lembongan,are they supporting the project and offering help,funds etc.. Action talks lounder than words.

They are interested by what is done and one of them actually has a poster of the Bali Advertizer article I sent to all the dive centers in the shop (not in front of the shop, somewhere in the shop ...). Both give time on other environment / conservation matters. To sum it up, I can't really tell that they are super involved as - IMO - they should as tourism operators ... but it's still better than just don't giving a sh*t I guess :x

Last edited:
@ ZIVVA it's so negative ! shame !

@DIVETULAMBEN Is it true The fish market in east lombok is one of the biggest shark and manta markets of Indonesia.Things really look bad around the area

Tanjung Luar fish market you mean ?

Tanjung Luar Day 1 | Facebook

Tanjung Luar Day 2 | Facebook

Apparently nothing new here as several years old pictures of the area can be find on Google :/

And for years Tanjung Luar remains one of the main tourists attraction of East Lombok, being sold as a nice trip in most of the Tourism guidebooks & websites ...

Tanjung Luar fish market you mean ?

Tanjung Luar Day 1 | Facebook

Tanjung Luar Day 2 | Facebook

Apparently nothing new here as several years old pictures of the area can be find on Google :/

And for years Tanjung Luar remains one of the main tourists attraction of East Lombok, being sold as a nice trip in most of the Tourism guidebooks & websites ...

Shocking ZIVVA the situation is terrible and so sad,as mentioned before much worse as this is all happening in a large diving tourist area.Dive centres in the whole area must act and help and support the BALI Shark Project and divers can act like i said diving with those who support the project.

that is exactly why it would work. when people start losing jobs and the government starts losing tourism money, they will act quickly. Won't be easy but if you targeted key markets (Australia?, EU maybe?), it could make a difference. And it could probably work just on high visibility awareness like a youtube video or facebook campaign. Once the negative publicity hit the media, people in Bali would react way before tourists started booking elsewhere. The threat of a drop in tourism would make Bali make changes.

I have been to Malapascua 2x, more times to Bali. The dive centre in Malapascua that I used hired local guides, they even conduct dive training to their non-diving staff. I haven't been back to Malapascua since but there was visible improvement/difference in the village - the 2nd time that I was there in 2008... I am not an ecologist to comment on the damage that the huge influx of divers can cause to a small island... But everyone just wants a better life - this life, to be able to better provide for their children...
Anyway, if I do decide to Bali again, I would definitely consider a dive operator who is supportive of a shark & manta sanctuary in Bali. Keep up your good work Bali Shark Project!

GOOD NEWS: hunting theshers is officially banned in Indonesia. Now comes the difficult part enforcing the law. Sadly we still see theshers being slaughter and it will take time and efford (and money) to apply the law. If you have any info and /or photos from any shark fishery please contact us: threshersharkbali@yahoo.com

Finally I have manage to post the links for the flyers, you can see them and download them here:
balisharkproject.org/3.html

We still need a lot more signatures, please sign the petition and spread the word:
Sign the Petition - Bali Shark Project

---------- Post Merged at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:41 AM ----------

GOOD NEWS: hunting theshers is officially banned in Indonesia. Now comes the difficult part enforcing the law. Sadly we still see theshers being slaughter and it will take time and efford (and money) to apply the law. If you have any info and /or photos from any shark fishery please contact us: threshersharkbali@yahoo.com

Finally I have manage to post the links for the flyers, you can see them and download them here:
balisharkproject.org/3.html

We still need a lot more signatures, please sign the petition and spread the word:
http://balisharkproject.org/9.html

That is really great news :cheers: so happy very happy to hear that and it will be help things so much for the project and may help with up and coming annual Thresher slaughter also i hear there is ban also on whaleshark in Indonesia also

great news :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom