Thumped By A Goliath Grouper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whaaaaaatt:confused: Oh, now ya tell me.

We were surrounded by goliaths on the Mexican Pride and I always thought they were harmless...

Lots of 'thumping' going on that day.:doh:

I've got a friend with a nice scar on his leg where he was sucked into the mouth of a big mama jamma who then shook him around like a rag doll for a few minutes before spitting him out sans right fin.

Video! Must... get... video!!:popcorn:

I'll let you get the video and be the person that got toss like a ragdoll. I've already been bitten by a baby harbor and my right is kinda still not recovered from it, otherwise I'm fine. :)

Goliaths are certainly large and intimidating creatures. Coming face-to-face with one the size of 55-gallon drum for the first time is an experience few divers forget.

I’ve been the water with them hundreds of times in 25 plus years diving (from Ft. Meyers down through the southern Gulf of Mexico on up the east coast to the Stuart) and never had a problem from one.

The booming sound you hear coming from is created by the muscles flexing their swim bladder, which they produce in rapid succession two to three times in a row. Up close, the action literally causes their body to shudder. And yes, it is a threat display. In grouper speak, the message is “you’re in my territory, go away!” But so typical of these animals, it’s more bark rather than bite. The moment their bluff is called, the big fish generally back, sometimes opting for the safety of a deep hole in a reef or wreck.

When they do that, my word of warning is this - Do not block the exit! Once they feel their safety inside their hole is gone, they will often try to flee, blow out the first opening they see, slamming into what ever dumb sap happens to be blocking their escape route.

Walt Stearns
Underwater Journal

This guy was hanging the 'Keep Out' sign....

P1010048.jpg

Hi.
A diver I know was rushed against; hit on the stomach by a grouper while inspecting a pipeline, lost consciousness, ended hospitalized. Luckily barely survived, no broken ribs. He told me was about 5 feet long. (Monteverde, Ecuador)

Myself, witnessed a 7 to 8 feet long, about 3 feet tall cow size grouper 'drumming', the mouth and the gills contracted simoultaneously with a cadence of about every 4 seconds, the animal was motionless ~3 feet above bottom in only ~20 feet of depth, like 'guarding her site'. I looked at my 4G44 :shakehead: ; looked at the beast again at 30 feet away and :shakehead: did not dare to get closer, observed for about 6 minutes doing the bass drum sound repeatedly. (Chocolatera, Ecuador)

Another diver friend reported sighting a VW bug size grouper (cabo San Lucas, Méjico)
Miguel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom