Tiger Beach Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There also are private guides on go fast boats that continue to take photographers there even on day trips. It's only 50 miles away from Miami. You'll be taking pictures of tigers by 10am and then sipping a cocktail at the dock back in Miami by 7pm. It's done by fisherman all the time.
Day operators out of the US are not running legally! Any vessel transporting at least one paying passenger is required by US laws to clear with Customs and Boarder Patrol as a commercial vessel. This requires money and time, red tape to do legally. Bahamas also requires all vessels to clear in upon arrival and clear out before departures, also to have permit and pay, $20 head tax, $50 scuba tax, 4% charter fee and 10% VAT tax, plus customs fees . This all applies even to small vessels with one passenger or more. Further more US vessels departing from the Bahamas still have to comply with all US laws, depending on size and passenger count they would need a Certificate of Inspection from the US and required to have US captain and crew, without complying with these law the boat boat insurance would be null and void. It's tough and expensive to be completely legal and both governments look for boats not complying with the laws.

It seems like it’s coming from every direction that the Bahamas Master isn’t the way to go
My cruise on the Bahamas Master was from 8th to 18th December. Just prior to the cruise, Master sent me a message through my travel agent. The message said,

There was an incident during a feeding dive on Bahamas Master recently that resulted in a fatality. All staff were following our normal procedures during the dive and there was nothing obviously out of the ordinary that occurred to trigger the incident. At this stage, both out of respect for the family involved and because of the ongoing inquiries with local authorities, we are not able to comment any further on the actual incident.
At Master Liveaboards we have rigorous safety standards that we believe are some of the best in the industry. These safety standards are in a constant state of review and improvement. On Bahamas Master, we have extremely strict policies when it comes to diving with sharks. These range from the equipment that must be worn, how to enter and leave the water, where to place yourself, and how to act around the animals. But our policies and practices go much deeper. Our dive crew is experienced, well-trained, and in many cases have been diving with these individual animals for a long period of time. However, the reality is that the wild is not governable and sharks do not abide by regulations.
While dive sites around the world have been almost domesticated as tourist locations, we must always be aware that we are visitors in a realm that we are not built for. We need specialized equipment to even survive, much less move around and interact with the environment underwater. Each time we dive, we enter a foreign world.
The incident on Bahamas Master, while extremely rare, is a heartbreaking reminder of the inherent uncertainties of diving in the wild. But it should not deter enthusiasts from experiencing the profound beauty and wonder that comes with interacting responsibly with sharks. It is important to reiterate and recognize that such occurrences are exceptionally rare and do not define the overall safety of shark diving experiences. Nor should they define the sharks themselves.
We are going to continue operations. This is not just because ours is a business, but because we passionately believe that what we do is important in the bigger picture. By continuing to dive with us, you are not only embracing a thrilling adventure but also contributing to our ongoing efforts to demystify sharks and promote their conservation. Each encounter deepens our understanding of these magnificent creatures, fostering a connection that goes beyond fear. Our shared commitment to responsible and respectful diving practices remains the cornerstone of our operations, ensuring that every dive with Master Liveaboards is an enriching experience that contributes to the preservation of marine ecosystems and the appreciation of the ocean's wonders.
What does this mean for your cruise?
We have spoken in detail to all staff who were in the water at the time the incident occurred, and we are reviewing the information with a view to whether or not we need to make changes, large or small, to the way we interact with the sharks. While we complete this review thoroughly, we will not be feeding at Tiger Beach on upcoming trips. We will, however, continue standard shark diving activities at Bimini.
As mentioned, we already have very stringent protocols for our shark diving. However, prior to restarting specific shark interactions at Tiger Beach, we will be re-reviewing our processes for when to end dives based on shark and/or guest behavior and actions.
Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming your guests on the Bahamas Master.
Kind regards,
Sonja Lieberum
Sales and Reservations Department

On board the boat, the staff were adamant that there would be no feeding at Tiger Beach on the cruise. Staff also refused to say if they would resume feeding at Tiger Beach in the future.

The irony of all this is that there is a magazine in the lounge of the Bahamas Master that says on the front cover: Scuba Diver presents your 2023 Dive Travel Bible, Ultimate divers guide, 40 Dives To Do Before You Die. One of the dives listed in this "Bible" is Tiger Beach and it says: "Who to dive with" and the only dive operator listed is "Master Liveaboards".

My cruise on the Bahamas Master was from 8th to 18th December. Just prior to the cruise, Master sent me a message through my travel agent. The message said,

There was an incident during a feeding dive on Bahamas Master recently that resulted in a fatality. All staff were following our normal procedures during the dive and there was nothing obviously out of the ordinary that occurred to trigger the incident. At this stage, both out of respect for the family involved and because of the ongoing inquiries with local authorities, we are not able to comment any further on the actual incident.
At Master Liveaboards we have rigorous safety standards that we believe are some of the best in the industry. These safety standards are in a constant state of review and improvement. On Bahamas Master, we have extremely strict policies when it comes to diving with sharks. These range from the equipment that must be worn, how to enter and leave the water, where to place yourself, and how to act around the animals. But our policies and practices go much deeper. Our dive crew is experienced, well-trained, and in many cases have been diving with these individual animals for a long period of time. However, the reality is that the wild is not governable and sharks do not abide by regulations.
While dive sites around the world have been almost domesticated as tourist locations, we must always be aware that we are visitors in a realm that we are not built for. We need specialized equipment to even survive, much less move around and interact with the environment underwater. Each time we dive, we enter a foreign world.
The incident on Bahamas Master, while extremely rare, is a heartbreaking reminder of the inherent uncertainties of diving in the wild. But it should not deter enthusiasts from experiencing the profound beauty and wonder that comes with interacting responsibly with sharks. It is important to reiterate and recognize that such occurrences are exceptionally rare and do not define the overall safety of shark diving experiences. Nor should they define the sharks themselves.
We are going to continue operations. This is not just because ours is a business, but because we passionately believe that what we do is important in the bigger picture. By continuing to dive with us, you are not only embracing a thrilling adventure but also contributing to our ongoing efforts to demystify sharks and promote their conservation. Each encounter deepens our understanding of these magnificent creatures, fostering a connection that goes beyond fear. Our shared commitment to responsible and respectful diving practices remains the cornerstone of our operations, ensuring that every dive with Master Liveaboards is an enriching experience that contributes to the preservation of marine ecosystems and the appreciation of the ocean's wonders.
What does this mean for your cruise?
We have spoken in detail to all staff who were in the water at the time the incident occurred, and we are reviewing the information with a view to whether or not we need to make changes, large or small, to the way we interact with the sharks. While we complete this review thoroughly, we will not be feeding at Tiger Beach on upcoming trips. We will, however, continue standard shark diving activities at Bimini.
As mentioned, we already have very stringent protocols for our shark diving. However, prior to restarting specific shark interactions at Tiger Beach, we will be re-reviewing our processes for when to end dives based on shark and/or guest behavior and actions.
Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming your guests on the Bahamas Master.
Kind regards,
Sonja Lieberum
Sales and Reservations Department

On board the boat, the staff were adamant that there would be no feeding at Tiger Beach on the cruise. Staff also refused to say if they would resume feeding at Tiger Beach in the future.

The irony of all this is that there is a magazine in the lounge of the Bahamas Master that says on the front cover: Scuba Diver presents your 2023 Dive Travel Bible, Ultimate divers guide, 40 Dives To Do Before You Die. One of the dives listed in this "Bible" is Tiger Beach and it says: "Who to dive with" and the only dive operator listed is "Master Liveaboards".

So you are on the boat now?

Because the boat cancelled diving after the first dive on 12th December and returned to port without any plans for further diving due to adverse weather conditions.

Because the boat cancelled diving after the first dive on 12th December and returned to port without any plans for further diving due to adverse weather conditions.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm sorry to hear that your trip is cancelled while on the trip. Good luck trying to get compensated or refunded. Master Liveaboards/Siren Fleet/Blue-O-Two have had a long list of troubles, including bankruptcy and restructuring in their U.K. company, collisions, fires, diver death, and from my personal experience in 2020, trying to keep $7400 of my money in 2020 for the trips they cancelled. I eventually got my money back through the credit card dispute process.

This isn't bad luck...it's a pattern of bad business practices.

I'm sorry to hear that your trip is cancelled while on the trip. Good luck trying to get compensated or refunded. Master Liveaboards/Siren Fleet/Blue-O-Two have had a long list of troubles, including bankruptcy and restructuring in their U.K. company, collisions, fires, diver death, and from my personal experience in 2020, trying to keep $7400 of my money in 2020 for the trips they cancelled. I eventually got my money back through the credit card dispute process.

I have a small collection of TShirts from LOBs that no longer exist thanks to Master/Siren. I’m well aware of their shortcomings. Thanks

Well at least they stopped feeding the tiger sharks.....

customers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom