Tightening up a size small Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minamin13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased a size Small Zeagle Ranger BCD. I probably should have gotten a XS, but it is too late for me to exchange it, I've already dove with it in the ocean. Is there anything I can do to tighten up the BCD further? I purchased a soft lumbar pad, and that helped out a lot, but the BCD still feels loose.

Welcome to the board.
The Ranger has a lot of adjustment room. Have you have changed the adjustment on the cumberbun.... removed the plastic screws and moved it to it's smallest size? If that is still not enough, you can order a smaller cumberbun section and just replace it. If you bought it from a LDS, maybe they would work a trade with you - a XS from their rental BC for your SM. I would also suggest you consider a crotch strap, they do a lot to secure a BC. I would also suggest you buy a few of the plastic screws as spares. They have a tendency to work loose, I have lost a few of them. You need to check them before each trip. I keep the spares in the extra holes in the BC.

Sounds like Herman is on it. Another thing that you might look at is tighten up the buckle strap.
Dang it I forgot to order a couple spare screws from Scubatoys the other day..oh well.

Unfortunately, it's not the cummerbund that doesn't fit, it's the waist strap, and the shoulder strap and the chest strap. I tighten these down constantly throughout my dives, to no avail. Is there anyway I could customize these straps to make them tighten down more?

Adding the lumbar pad is really the only way that I know of to take up excess room. If the shoulders are the issue, undo the velcro at the bottom of the shoulder section where is attached to the vest section) and tighten the shoulder down as far as possible. It may already be tight, but if not, you may gain an inch or so by doing that...

Sorry that I don't have more answers for you!!

Scott

I had this exact problem with a Scout. I took it to a sail maker, folded the flap that holds the waiststrap back on itself just behind the shoulderstrap and had him sew it.
Cost ten bucks and worked great.

minamin13:
Unfortunately, it's not the cummerbund that doesn't fit, it's the waist strap, and the shoulder strap and the chest strap. I tighten these down constantly throughout my dives, to no avail. Is there anyway I could customize these straps to make them tighten down more?

You could get the XS shoulder but that isn't going to change the fact that the body of the vest is just too wide for you.

I'm afraid that the cost of getting it customized, if even possible, will exceed the money lost by selling it and rebuying an XS BC.

Chad

Thanks for the advice. I am going to tighten up the shoulders by an inch by overlapping the velcro between the shoulders and the vest. Also, I did notice I had 1 or 2 inches more of tightening available on the shoulder straps. It's just that it is really awkward tightening up the shoulder straps for those last 2 inches because you really have to pull behind you. I may have to ask a buddy to help.

I also noticed that I can get the waist strap to tighten those last 1 or 2 inches if I overlap the velcro on the cummerbund, which hadn't occured to me before. I will give experiment and see how it goes.

I also noticed that by not puting the quick release belt strap
through the right loop holder on the cummerbun
you can get a couple of more inches tightening on the belt strap
for a little bit more tightening.

-- bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom