Tiki-la tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how much is it for a guided shore dive?
Just for reference, since several sites have now been mentioned in this thread, ScubaJuan does guided shore dives at Hotel Barracuda for $25/person during the day, $40/person for night dives (minimum 2 persons). They also rent tanks.

So there is a discussion on Tikila's facebook page today and here is some info.

They do not rent tanks.
They charge 70 pesos entrance fee for divers and get a bracelet.
The bracelet is good for 15% off the restaurant food menu.

So there is a discussion on Tikila's facebook page today and here is some info.

They do not rent tanks.
They charge 70 pesos entrance fee for divers and get a bracelet.
The bracelet is good for 15% off the restaurant food menu.
Blue Angel might work for you. They rent tanks and there is a pretty good shore dive there.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, I was very disappointed by the shore dive
Disagree with what? They indeed rent tanks and the shore dive is pretty good by Cozumel shore dive standards, which overall pale in comparison to the boat dives around the island. Tikila may indeed have a better shore dive (I haven't been there), but someone else said that they do not rent tanks. Most of the shore diving at Cozumel, such as it is, was devastated by Hurricane Wilma; it never could really compare with the boat dives in terms of coral formations and density of life, but the protracted heavy wave action in the shallows along the west coast of the island did a number on what of it there was, and it will take many more years to recover significantly.

I have gone out from shore many times at Blue Angel; it is pretty much typical, i.e., pretty good, compared to the other places I have gone from shore around the island. The base of the fence around the Stingray Experience next door attracts life, as do the small coral heads and piles of rubble south of the pens. At night I have found octopus, trumpet fish, reef squid, eels of various species, lobsters, rays, etc. and there are 3 or 4 seahorses that hang out along the fence. IMO it is a dive worth doing.

As always, DSFDF and YMMV.

Tikila said they don't rent tanks but Jungle Divers is right across the street, Scuba Shack is a few doors down, and I think Del Mar still rents tanks net door.

Most would say all shore dives pale compared to the boat dives but in some way they are nicer. You can get 90-120 minutes on an AL80, no worries of deco or safety stops, and can camp out and observe something for 20-30 minutes without getting left behind. That's really nice if you're into photography or just like to observe behaviour in detail.

My ranking of shore dives I've done, in order
Tikila - 3 distinct dives, depths to 45', 15' mini-wall, remains of plane.
Hotel Barracuda - remains of plane, massive amounts of pier rubble
Blue Angel - stingray pen
Aldora Wall - tons of life but you gotta be staying there
Villa Blanca pier - scattered coral heads and debris

Tikila said they don't rent tanks but Jungle Divers is right across the street, Scuba Shack is a few doors down, and I think Del Mar still rents tanks net door.

Most would say all shore dives pale compared to the boat dives but in some way they are nicer. You can get 90-120 minutes on an AL80, no worries of deco or safety stops, and can camp out and observe something for 20-30 minutes without getting left behind. That's really nice if you're into photography or just like to observe behaviour in detail.
Agree. And as to night dives, we had a great 98 minute night shore dive at Tikila a few years back that rivals any boat night dive we've done -- saw a ton of neat critters! (We had Jungle Divers guide us there, since we were not familiar with the site - highly recommend them!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom