Time at Deepstop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlbertVW:

There is a lot of theory and disagreement on the subject. In case we went overboard on the detail/theory, this is what I do for dives within recreational diving limits.

Multi level dives -- no deep stop
Dives to less than 80 feet -- no deep stop
Dives to 80 - 100 feet -- 1 minute deep stop
Dives to 101-130 feet -- 2.5 minute deep stop

This is strictly a personal preference that for some reason makes sense to me. I know for sure that other very qualified divers handle it differently.

As with all of diving, best personal judgement is the key!

Dive safe and enjoy!

P

Last edited:
my approach is a bit more simplified

i always do a deep stop at half max depth

if the bottom time is under 15 minutes, i do a 1 minute stop; otherwise it's a 2 minute stop

then i stop at 40, 30 and 20 feet for a minute, and then 3 minutes at 10 feet

this is not a scientific thing, just seems to make sense and i feel great after multiple dives per day

thanks to this thread, i might just always do a 2.5 minute deep stop from now on

Thanks for all the input. Mainly wanted to know after recent trip to Red Sea, and wanting to 'clear system' as best possible to increase time on multiple dives per day. Didn't realize that the science has so many variables and it is so complicated to 'know best procedure' on normal 30-40m dives. Seems best is to experiment continually and see what works (feels) best.

Ths again.

my approach is a bit more simplified

i always do a deep stop at half max depth

if the bottom time is under 15 minutes, i do a 1 minute stop; otherwise it's a 2 minute stop

then i stop at 40, 30 and 20 feet for a minute, and then 3 minutes at 10 feet

this is not a scientific thing, just seems to make sense and i feel great after multiple dives per day

thanks to this thread, I might just always do a 2.5 minute deep stop from now on
That is almost exactly the ascent profile I use on a no deco dive, or on a deco dive to the first deco stop if it is shallower than 40' . The only difference being I do the last stop at 20' (works better off shore and seems to work in most florida caves) followed by a very slow ascent to the surface (3-4 minutes). I get the same result - I still feel great after multiple dives over multiple days.

It is also not set in stone as it varies to some degree based on where I am diving, the profile of the cave, etc. but the overall idea is to greatly slow the ascent in the last 40 ft with 1 minute pauses every 10 ft or so and a 10 fpm ascent rate between stops to the 20 ft safety stop. Since it works for me and has worked for me for years, I am not inclined to change the approach based on a single, limited and poorly designed study promoting a 2.5 minute deep stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom