Time to "fess up"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not so ... one common reason why people end up breathing water is that the regulator mouthpiece develops a crack alongside the ziptie that holds in in place. Usually the way this crack gets found is that your reg starts breathing wet, and you go looking for the reason why ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

he went back on his tank near the surface so i think we can discount a broken mouthpiece.

Thanks for posting. If you dive enough, it's not a matter of if something unexpected will happen, but when. All we can do is to make sure we have safety protocols in place and it looks like you did! You planned for a good reserve and your buddy was close! I have had a regulator breathe wet before and had a coughing spell. It's not a good feeling, but one you have to deal with!

I am with those that found nothing wrong here. A safety margin of air is planned so that it is present to deal with contingencies. Buddies should be in close proximity for the same reason. While it does seem that there was a more than expected depletion of air during the coughing fit, it is not beyond possibility. Here are the things I think are positive lessons about this post: 1) reg kept in during coughing 2) no panic ascent 3) buddy in close proximity so assistance could be given 4) dive complete, everyone moves on to the next dive.
DivemasterDennis

Yes, @#$% happens even to the most prepared. That's why divers prepare, train, plan, and take spares.

We dove as a threesome and due to a strong current we turned to head back to the mooring line sooner than agreed knowing we would be returning against that current. Although Kevin hit the mooring line low on air, this was a no-deco dive where "safety stops" are highly recommended but not required. I had to convince him to take my alternate rather than continue his ascent. I showed him that I had way more than enough gas for both us to complete the planned safety stops leaving him with enough contingency air in his tank to return safely to the back of the boat from the last safety stop at the mooring ball. The plan worked, we all stayed together and we all completed the planned safety stops.

These are the types of incidents where people learn about contingency planning, where the "what if" becomes a real "what now". 'Fessing up is good so everyone can learn for the incident. Thanks for sharing this. Kevin, I'm looking forward to diving with you again soon.

Thank you to everyone for the kind (and not so kind) replies; I opted to post this as a lesson learned in the hope someone would find it useful. To answer some of the questions raised:
We were about halfway back to the mooring line and I had just looked at my gauges before I started coughing, and I had 1250-1300# of air at that point.
I'm a big guy and I use a lot of air; I was on 30% Nitrox with a 100cf tank, and our hard limit was 121 ft. ; as I remember we didn't exceed 105 ft.
I completed the PADI Deep Diver speciality as part of my AOW, and feel comfortable at depth.
My reg is only 6 months old, so no issues with equipment.

I feel that this was definitely my fault, as I think I inhaled seawater from my mask; not being willing to completely shave my mustache, I have become very experienced and comfortable at clearing my mask, and I can't see any other reason or cause for this - it was my mistake, plain and simple.
As I said, I posted this as a lesson learned, for myself and for others, with the key point being "it can happen to you", not to be called an idiot by people that don't know me and weren't there.
Jack, Elena and I discussed an OOA situation before we dove; never expecting that it would be me needing to share air, it was definitely an eye opener. For those that only listen half-heartedly to the pre-dive briefings, let this be a reason to pay more attention!

KevinL

thanks for posting.

i was overly critical and i apologise.

you and your buddies did good.

daryl.

Good lessons learned. Couple more things to think about ...

- If you think you might need to go on a buddy's air, best to do it earlier than later. It leaves you options as you ascend that you otherwise might not have available. If someone offers you a reg, don't let pride keep you from accepting it.

- As a person with a mustache, I can recommend a "diver's trim" ... shaving just a quarter-inch or so from the top of the 'stache. You don't need much to make a good seal ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom