Time to get to depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I was reading the article about Audrey Mestre (free diver), and that there was a safety diver at 560 +/- feet. The article mentioned in there that it took over four hours for the diver to surface after the dive. While not trained to do decompression dives, I understand the principles behind it, and why it takes so long to ascend.

I am wondering how long would it take you to get to a depth of 560 feet? Are there stops to change gases? Is it a straight descent to that depth?

Disclaimer: I do not have the training nor the desire to go to this depth, but I am curious as to the time required to descend.

I don't have the training either, but I know enough tech divers and tech instructors, and know the deco theory somewhat well to speak some of the lingo. I believe they use the same rate of ascent (30 fpm), but the deco stops are staggered to allow for the most amount of off gassing. There are also several deco gases used, most of which involve EANx, but as far as ascending from a 560' dive I couldn't begin to tell you. IMHO, your thread belongs more on the tek diving forum.

DBailey:
I am wondering how long would it take you to get to a depth of 560 feet? Are there stops to change gases? Is it a straight descent to that depth?

Disclaimer: I do not have the training nor the desire to go to this depth, but I am curious as to the time required to descend.

Essentially, as fast as safety allows, as you pay dearly for every minute of bottom time. Gas changes on the way down depend on the plan, OC or CCR, and other variables. For that depth, I would assume changes during descent unless on CCR.

MD

For the purpose of planning your decompression profile and gas requirements, the time during descent cannot be ignored. I plan 60ft per minute descent, so I would plan about 9 to 10 minutes for a descent to 560ft.

Gas switching would be necessary during descent. Some folks plan a pause during descent for this, but others plan to do it entirely on the fly.

Last record free dive I watched (500ft?) the safty diver at the bottom was using a rebreather. So he probably didn't have to do any gas changes, but on OC you would have to do atleast two gas switches before you got to the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom