Time to upgrade to a BP and Wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a Halcyon Pioneer and love it and I'm sure as hell not being 'sucked' into anything - hey I have yellow fins... :eyebrow: ..

Just get what works for you.

cbsaw:
Looking for some advice here.. Just looking for opinions.. Right now I am diving a Zeagle Scout. Love it, but want to move up to a more advanced piece of equipment with better control. I really want to move into a backplate and wing, but not sure which way to go.. I love the Halcyon, but do not want to get sucked into the whole "DIR" thing.. Thought, comment, opinions??

cbsaw:
Looking for some advice here.. Just looking for opinions.. Right now I am diving a Zeagle Scout. Love it, but want to move up to a more advanced piece of equipment with better control. I really want to move into a backplate and wing, but not sure which way to go.. I love the Halcyon, but do not want to get sucked into the whole "DIR" thing.. Thought, comment, opinions??

My recomendation is the Oxycheq bp/w set up. Tried others, nothing compares. 30 or 45 pound bladder makes no difference with streamlining....

RICHinNC:
DiveRite has some good gear...and affordable. You could get a jet harness and a FT plate.....the options are just almost never ending. Regardless....I was amazed at the difference when I got my bp and wing. It REALLY is different. And a good different.

Best of luck with your research.
rich

The Dive Rite harness and BP are great, just like any other brand I know. However I don't fancy the horseshoe shape of the singletank wing.

Trek_Wing_40lbs.jpg

As compared to:

halcyon-1122.jpg
and
signaturewing.jpg

The Dive Rite may be great for small doubles but not for a slim singletank, in my perspective. It's to wide.

I don't know about prices either, but here they're all the same. Except maybe Oxycheq being a little cheaper than the rest due to dealer policy. If Oxycheq is an option I would get the Signature version because it's tougher than the regular.

KOMPRESSOR:
The Dive Rite harness and BP are great, just like any other brand I know. However I don't fancy the horseshoe shape of the singletank wing.

My Scout is a Horsehoe Shape design, and it drives me crazy. There is only one rear dump, and of course, Diving, inverted, all of the residual air gets trapped on the dumpless side.. I am diving a single 80 right now, but I was just recently EANx certified, so I plan on moving up to a single 100 this season, with plans down the road of doubles, but that is a couple of years away.. Cold Dark new England Water, is where I dive. Starting to move into some more wreck diving.

All of the info from this board has been great.. Thanks,

Chris

Mattboy.. My scout is a large..

I hear there's plenty of old wrecks in the quarry to visit, technically, isn't that considered wreck diving? Take mine out for a spin, before you jump. maybe you wont like it. Im out of it next weekend anyway.

I got the DSS rig last week, and so far I like it a lot. I've only dove it twice, once in the pool and once in a 3' viz creek this morning. It seems to be very stable, and doesn't move around at all. I dove it with a Catalina AL80, and trimmed out pretty good with no weight belt. It is a horseshoe shape, but I haven't dove it enough yet to know if this will be a difficulty or not. I plan on diving doubles in the future, so I might as well already be comfortable with a horseshoe wing, no?

JeffG:
LOL...It doesn't even come with a glass of Kool-Aid :wink:

No but you could fill it with Kool-Aid and use it as a hydration system. :D

teknitroxdiver:
I got the DSS rig last week, and so far I like it a lot. I've only dove it twice, once in the pool and once in a 3' viz creek this morning. It seems to be very stable, and doesn't move around at all. I dove it with a Catalina AL80, and trimmed out pretty good with no weight belt. It is a horseshoe shape, but I haven't dove it enough yet to know if this will be a difficulty or not. I plan on diving doubles in the future, so I might as well already be comfortable with a horseshoe wing, no?

The DSS wing is way easier to dump than the Dive Rite Trek ... I've dived them both and can speak from experience on that one. The difference is that the DSS wing is long and narrow, with a sleek footprint that doesn't overly "taco" around the bottom of the cylinder ... whereas the DR Trek is short and wide at the bottom, so it wraps around the cylinder too much and tends to trap air.

The reason is that the Trek ... and it's larger sibling the Rec ... are designed as "compromise" wings that are supposed to be good for both singles and doubles diving. In order to accommodate both goals, they have to design a wing that's not optimal for either.

It works ... but it's really only worth giving up the optimization in performance if you're planning to use it for both singles and doubles diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

KOMPRESSOR:

Trek_Wing_40lbs.jpg

As compared to:

halcyon-1122.jpg
and
signaturewing.jpg

The Dive Rite may be great for small doubles but not for a slim singletank, in my perspective. It's to wide.
There is more than one DiveRite wing. The Venture is perfect for a donut shaped single tank wing.

http://www.diverite.com/products/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=BC2077

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom