Timex Helix review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amy, you rule, gal !!!

CatBlue:
I've read the posts about this watch with great interest. You say Timex stopped making this particular model, but maybe I can find some online or in stores like Campmor. Would you be so kind and tell me specifically the Helix model or model number? Thank you!
Helix DM

130'? Sweet. I feel much better now, as a lot of the previous responses were only saying 40-50' in different threads. I plan to attempt to bungee this watch just like my computer. Otherwise, I'll go with a long velcro strap for it.

MgicTwnger:

Thank you kindly! I took a look around the web and this make/model number can still be found. Not for $20 dollars though; if you got them at Wal-Mart for that price that was quite a find! The prices range from about $60-$110 and I found them at:

myGearStore for $59.95. I'm not sure if they have a website, I found them through a price search (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_gen_store.php/userid=161645). You have to pay via PayPal.
jomashop.com, watchsavings.com, or overstockworldwide.com all have it for $69.99
Everythinghome.com for $81.99
Amazon.com for $85

Campmor has what looks like the same watch, only it's not called the DM. So it appears Timex is still making it, only under a different name/model number. On Campmor's site it's called Timex Helix Watch Altimeter/Barometer/Thermometer (I didn't see a model number) and they're selling it for $49.97. That is the lowest price I found for the new model. If anyone else has found it for less, please advise!

There is yet another version which has a compass called Helix by Timex WRKS Altimeter/Barometer/ Thermometer/Compass Watch (model #T47671 or #T47681)
Everythinghome.com for $82.99
Jomashop.com for $84.99
Amazon.com for $94.94
watches-onsale.com for $106.99 but they were out of stock.
Campmor for $109.99

Cheers,
Cat

bcsean:
I still want to know how deep someone has taken one of these. Just bought one for a backup bottom timer and am hoping it won't implode at depth.
I had mine to 144 feet this fall with no water ingress problem. It locks up at 130 feet on the display, however.

CatBlue:
Campmor has what looks like the same watch, only it's not called the DM. So it appears Timex is still making it, only under a different name/model number. On Campmor's site it's called Timex Helix Watch Altimeter/Barometer/Thermometer (I didn't see a model number) and they're selling it for $49.97. That is the lowest price I found for the new model. If anyone else has found it for less, please advise!

You want the DM model, not the others. Timex makes (or made) several different models of the Helix, but the DM is the only dive watch. The other models are for other outdoor activities, and will not work as a dive watch. I have the DM, and love it.

Firefyter:
You want the DM model, not the others. Timex makes (or made) several different models of the Helix, but the DM is the only dive watch. The other models are for other outdoor activities, and will not work as a dive watch. I have the DM, and love it.

Thank you Thomas, good looking out. I would have purchased the ABT model thinking it did the same thing (it looks exactly the same, fooled me!) I placed an order for the DM with the seller from pricegrabber.com. I will be diving in the Bahamas in a couple of weeks, can't wait!

$35 on ebay, anyday.

And I'm happy if it can make 130' as that's as deep as I go anway.

$35 on ebay? Alas, not so much. I just took a look and out of the 2117 watches listed under Timex on ebay there were only four Timex DM watches. They are all listed at $48.99 and $49.49 (3 were by one seller who listed them all at the same starting price). Still good prices, especially since it is so hard to find.

There are a lot of watches listed as diver watches and they are all priced really low, $24.99 - $29.99. I don't know if these are good for diving though, the seller could just be saying that:

BRAND NEW TIMEX REEF GEAR Stainless Steel Diver Watch! Item number: 4947635696
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4947635696&rd=1
Current Price: $24.99

TIMEX MENS IRONMAN STAINLESS SCUBA DIVER 200M WATCH Item number: 4947742759
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4947742759&rd=1
Current Price: $29.99

CatBlue:
$35 on ebay? Alas, not so much. I just took a look and out of the 2117 watches listed under Timex on ebay there were only four Timex DM watches. They are all listed at $48.99 and $49.49 (3 were by one seller who listed them all at the same starting price). Still good prices, especially since it is so hard to find.

There are a lot of watches listed as diver watches and they are all priced really low, $24.99 - $29.99. I don't know if these are good for diving though, the seller could just be saying that:

BRAND NEW TIMEX REEF GEAR Stainless Steel Diver Watch! Item number: 4947635696
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4947635696&rd=1
Current Price: $24.99

TIMEX MENS IRONMAN STAINLESS SCUBA DIVER 200M WATCH Item number: 4947742759
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4947742759&rd=1
Current Price: $29.99

the additional features that everyone likes about the Helix DM are the depth gauge and the temp gauge. I also like the digital chronograph as opposed to the analog (a rotating bezel is enough to call it a dive watch in most cases) which can be less accurate. Good luck in your search and we will continue to keep our eyes open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom