Tinnitus ramps up, no reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing out of the ordinary happened today, other than suddenly, my long standing tinnitus ramped up about 50 knotches.

I was driving peaceably at the time and it was immediately noticeable. There's been no fading back as the hours have worn on.

I've had tinnitus for ages and made peace with it long ago but this is almost beyond me being able to bear.

Has this ever happened to any of you other sufferers?

Nothing out of the ordinary happened today, other than suddenly, my long standing tinnitus ramped up about 50 knotches.

I was driving peaceably at the time and it was immediately noticeable. There's been no fading back as the hours have worn on.

I've had tinnitus for ages and made peace with it long ago but this is almost beyond me being able to bear.

Mine goes up and down, I don't know what causes it to rise, see how you are in the morning after a night's sleep - if it lets you sleep!

Yes, mine goes up and down too and has tones within tones, whistles within buzzes and so on but this is EXTRA. 😊

Leaving out my standard unrelated insomnia, I think that I will be able to sleep because I taught myself how so long ago. Believe it or not, earplugs are a big help, lol.

All that said, I'm not going to thank you for mentioning trying to sleep! 🤣😂🤣

I have a low level of Tinnitus. But sometimes it will spike like you said. Different divers will have different triggers and it's finding that trigger which is so hard. In my case, it's usually I'm dehydrated. So I try to double my water. It takes about a full next day and then the spike goes back down to normal. But like an allergy, any trigger can cause a spike, even food. Best of luck finding your 'trigger'.

I have a low level of Tinnitus. But sometimes it will spike like you said. Different divers will have different triggers and it's finding that trigger which is so hard. In my case, it's usually I'm dehydrated. So I try to double my water. It takes about a full next day and then the spike goes back down to normal. But like an allergy, any trigger can cause a spike, even food. Best of luck finding your 'trigger'.

Hmmm, dehydrated. Could very well have been! Thanks for that but let's keep the ideas coming.

I thought maybe a stroke but since I was driving and no other weird stuff happened, it was only the tinnitus that syaryed to blare like a radio suddenly turned way up.

Coffee, alcohol? Stress?

Are the bubbles from your regulator bursting about your ears? Believe it or not, both regulator bubbles and the exhaust breath (from the mouth and nose) bubbles when I swim affect my tinnitus. I wear a hood or beanie cap diving and when I swim (swim ear plugs) and a cap. Bubbles are loud enough in some cases to cause what you are experiencing.

There are DH regulators but the only modern DH regulator than can actually be dived in modern kit, the Argonaut Kraken, is not currently in production.

Mine is fairly low level and I have not found that diving causes it to worsen (with precautions above).

Sometimes salty foods will make mine worse...

I have some high-frequency hearing loss, and can generally get by without hearing aids, but I've found that wearing hearing aids makes the tinnitus less noticeable.

I'm usually unaware of it unless I read the word tinnitus, or someone talks about it. So now I'm sitting here noticing the ringing. Thanks for that! :)

There are ear plugs that can be used while diving (Docs, Hydro Ear??). They will reduce the bubble noise.

You could go to a side breather like a Jetstream. Does Atomic have extensions for their exhaust tee?

Driving or diving, I saw that thinking it was a typo? My favorite music station is KOFF. Hmmm.

Do you have high blood pressure? Have you changed any medications? I do not know much about this since I take no medications but it would bother my father, some meds that is.

Coffee, alcohol? Stress?

Are the bubbles from your regulator bursting about your ears? Believe it or not, both regulator bubbles and the exhaust breath (from the mouth and nose) bubbles when I swim affect my tinnitus. I wear a hood or beanie cap diving and when I swim (swim ear plugs) and a cap. Bubbles are loud enough in some cases to cause what you are experiencing.

There are DH regulators but the only modern DH regulator than can actually be dived in modern kit, the Argonaut Kraken, is not currently in production.

Mine is fairly low level and I have not found that diving causes it to worsen (with precautions above).
Thanks but I wasn't diving yesterday
Dog walking/playing with the dog of course, along with my 13 year old niece. Very pleasant afternoon except for the other sisty ugler auntie who wouldn't let the dog in the house. Such a meanie. 😄

My niece and I said our goodbyes/see you tomorrows. I got in the car with the dog and drove home. I was part way home when it hit.

There are ear plugs that can be used while diving (Docs, Hydro Ear??). They will reduce the bubble noise.

You could go to a side breather like a Jetstream. Does Atomic have extensions for their exhaust tee?

Driving or diving, I saw that thinking it was a typo? My favorite music station is KOFF. Hmmm.

Do you have high blood pressure? Have you changed any medications? I do not know much about this since I take no medications but it would bother my father, some meds that is.
Low normal to normal blood pressure, without meds for that.
I do have some pain meds but they're preventitive and daily dose hasn't changed in years.

No typo, I was dry and driving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom