Tiny bubbles…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khoujo1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, question about mask bubbles. My wife has a lean/narrow face. Mask fit has been an issue. She wound up with a Cressi low volume free diving mask that is OK but still has issues. It’s not so much that it leaks and water gets in (although that’s an issue at times) but that the mask bubbles continuously. It bubbles mostly from the area near the temple. It does this even with inhaling, so we do not think it’s an issue with her exhaling through the nose. Any suggestions for a fix? Thanks!

You’re saying air comes out but no water comes in?
Exactly. There are occasions when some water gets in, but most of the time it’s gas leaking out without water entering.

If water isn't getting in, then it doesn't need fixing, unless perhaps it's a real annoyance for her. A friend of mine is a nose breather. He has a nearly constant stream of bubbles exiting his mask, doesn't matter.

If water isn't getting in, then it doesn't need fixing, unless perhaps it's a real annoyance for her. A friend of mine is a nose breather. He has a nearly constant stream of bubbles exiting his mask, doesn't matter.

I would mention it could matter. People who exhale through their nose tend to have their mask fog up. You might not notice it in warm water, but in cold water it is much more noticeable.

The other annoying thing is: when you breathe through your nose you tend to push the water out of your mask while you’re breathing. So you can’t even leave a little bit of water in the mask to quickly clear your mask when you breathe through your nose!

How do I know this? I think my CPAP has changed the way I breathe, and now I tend to breathe just slightly through my nose. It’s really annoying.

But you are 100% correct: there’s nothing wrong with the mask. :)

No water in means she is breathing out even if ever so slightly and those times that water does come it is probably from the seal being disturbed by the flow of air out.

We dove twice today and it was less of an issue. Maybe the mask just needed a bit of time to break in.

Back
Top Bottom