Tip cup in a SHOE STORE!?!?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
They're popping up all over in the US: at the ice cream shop, at the yuppie coffee bar, at the sanwdich shop on the corner. Yes they are annoying, but those of us who know the difference between a service professional and a minumum wage slave generally have the good sense to ignore them. They are tip cups and they are everywhere.

I expect to give gratuities to waiters, cab drivers, hairdressers and my doorman. I cheerfully pony up to the dive master and crew when I go diving off of a boat. This expectation has always been written into the pay scales for people in these professions. OK, so now the baristas and the sandwich makers want a piece of the action. I'm of the opinion that these folks should be paid by their employers, but I have a fairly open mind. I can see how it might be appropriate to drop a few quarters in the cup at the local Starbucks, especially if the barrista is friendly and cute.

Last weekend, however, I noticed a a big, plastic jar with the letters T - I - P - S emblazoned in thick magic marker in a truely astonishing location - next to the cash register at a shoe store. This is, quite simply, not acceptable. Taking my money in return for consumer goods is not an activity that merits a gratuity.

What comes next? Who will be the next group of workers with their hands out? Will it be bank cashiers? Gas station attendants? The clerks at Bloomingdales? The lady who hands me my prescriptions and takes my money in return at the pharmacy on the corner? The fellow who takes down your name, address and insurance information at the emergency room?

I think I'm going to put a tip jar on my desk at work. The next time my boss asks me to take on a new project or give him a progress report on my work I will glare suggestively at the jar and give a little cough. If he doesn't pony up, I ain't putting out. It seems that, more and more these days, that's the American way.

i live in boston, and since theres tons of students, theres tons of tipcups in almost every store.. shoe store, sports store, restaurant, fastfood, umm..havent seen any at the car dealership yet though.. usually it says "tuition fund"

Seriously I think employers should pay employees good enough money where they won't have to rely on tips. Waitresses and waiters get tips from me - only if they are good. If I get crappy service I never tip. I am not an automatic tipper.
And as far as my hairdresser or any other person, I don't tip....I pay quite enough for their services anyway.

When asked by a homeless person if they can have a dime, I usually respond by saying...im sorry I only have quarters.

Sometimes, if I notice that they have alot of change...I'll put in a dollar and take out 4 quarters.

I know this has nothing to do with tipping, but it made me think of my sillyness.

Hi jepusker,

While I'm sure you're going to get flamed for that attitude, I won't be one of them. Nothing bugs me more than the "in-your-face" panhandlers here in San Francisco wearing laundered clothes, smoking cigarettes, while asking for your money, shaking a cup full of change in your face. You get so desensitized to it that you find yourself ignoring the trully needy.

I'm still adjusting to the tipping over here, I usually only tip when there is an actual service involved such as serving me drinks or food - the one incident that sticks in my craw though is a guy who cut my hair, when I handed him a $20 note, just smiled and said "Thank You!" and didn't offer me my change. He just took the $20 and put it in the till and shut it. It was a $15 haircut - which was overpriced to start with! I mean, it was a 5 minute clipper job - I could have bought a pair of clippers for that. Then he goes ahead and keeps my change. What's with that?

Anyway tipping has ben flogged to death on this board - but I can't help but jump in every time it comes up :rolleyes:

Ben

MissAmberDiva once bubbled...
Seriously I think employers should pay employees good enough money where they won't have to rely on tips. Waitresses and waiters get tips from me - only if they are good. If I get crappy service I never tip. I am not an automatic tipper.
And as far as my hairdresser or any other person, I don't tip....I pay quite enough for their services anyway.

I tip only for service over and beyond what is expected. If 'service people' need more money, they should take it up with their employers, not expect me to make up the difference.

I don't patronize business that add an automatic gratuity to my bill. But if there is a large group in a restaurant with a single waitress who does a good job, I don't mind.

lives in a city or works in a city then they will understand. On several occasions I have been asked for money for food and then I say...lets go over the McDonalds or whatever is closest and I'll buy you something...I get turned down every time! Don't make get started on this...

My tip depends on service and other things that I dont wanna hear people complain about. :wink:

Wonder how I can get my share of tips? Guess I will tell my surgical patients if they want to wake up, better cough up a $20 note? PPhhtt, can't you see that one?

Ranz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom