Tipping your DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So...what about those on "dive packages" How do they figure that out?

It will be me and the wife...should I just go ahead and plan on $20 a day in tips to the boat? Then meals? Then the taxi? The maid? The bartender? :confused:

Holy wow....no wonder diving is so expensive! :shocked2:

I am seeing a lot of posts regarding trips. How about DM's assisting classes for instructors? Is there a difference of tipping them then? With classes it is usually all volunteer time for a DM assisting an instructor.

I am seeing a lot of posts regarding trips. How about DM's assisting classes for instructors? Is there a difference of tipping them then? With classes it is usually all volunteer time for a DM assisting an instructor.

I have never tipped a DM on a class, usually because I dont normally have classes where a DM is present but when they are I dont give them anything. Though I did buy one a beer one day.

Let me just explain what I mean...

For divers in a class scenario learning something new, like OW or better yet Rescue, is it appropriate to tip the DM? I have never recieved nor asked for a tip from an instructor. I have had instructors pay for a beer or a meal or even the cost of a hotel room for out of town work.

I have never solicited tips, however on most classes the students have tipped out of the kindness of their hearts. I can understand how people may feel that are already certified that they sometimes don't even need a DM around. For those that are learning something new, what are some of the opinions of members of this board in regard to tipping a DM?

For me...

In the pool and classroom, the dive master is there for the hands on learning aspect. The only dive masters that help me in the pool and classroom are usually preparing for AI/IDC. In my situation, I would be shocked if any of the dive masters have ever gotten tipped from pool/classroom session.

At the check-out dives, the dive masters are working. They receive a flat fee that usually covers the cost of gasoline to and from the dive site. From there, they are working for tips. At the end of day one, I remind my students that the dive masters are here on their time, and if you appreciate the work that they do that a tip would be generous. I also let them know that 15% of their package is "x" number of dollars (yes, leading them toward that amount).

Thanks D.

Typically in my scenarios I am assisting in classroom, confined and open water. It is a relationship builder throughout the process. I have no interest in becoming an instructor at this time but I try to have really good relationships with various instructors and create an "accessable" feeling for the students that sometime still have a shyness with the instructors.

I'll give the DMs a tip...work for a shop that pays you. If you want tips from me you'll have to tote my gear from the hotel to the dock!
I already "out of the goodness of my heart" paid $110 for a 2 minute boat ride.

I'll give the DMs a tip...work for a shop that pays you. If you want tips from me you'll have to tote my gear from the hotel to the dock!
I already "out of the goodness of my heart" paid $110 for a 2 minute boat ride.

I love that attitude. If that were the case, then the cost of the trip would have been $150, and you would have taken your business to the shop that is only charging $110.

I love that attitude. If that were the case, then the cost of the trip would have been $150, and you would have taken your business to the shop that is only charging $110.

Isn't capitalism great? :wink:

I have always heard as a good rule of thumb, 5 dollars per person, per dive- so about 10 for a 2 tank dive. However, some caveats to this: consider their performance- more or less if they are great or horrible. Also, the size of your group. If you go alone, I would tip more. If you go with a group of 10 friends, and you know you are all going to tip well, you can tip a bit less. DMs work hard for not much pay- and live only off of tips.

Take care of 'em . They take care of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom