Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy tiger.

I worked on Roatan over Xmas and New Years. :

And you and you boss paid all taxes on whatever you made too, Right???

Why did you have to check so many folks air? Were you allowing incompetent divers to take part in open water dives? Maybe you should have sold them a course so they could learn to do it the way they supposedly were taught in order to be certified.
If setting up ones gear is required then most certainly your boss let you know this so it does not fall into the above and beyond category as they likely use it in promoting their diving.

I'm liking the boats with a good skipper who handles briefings well, a first mate to help at the ladder, and a trip to the dive site more.

Why did you have to check so many folks air? Were you allowing incompetent divers to take part in open water dives? Maybe you should have sold them a course so they could learn to do it the way they supposedly were taught in order to be certified.

No. I was allowing certified divers to take part in open water dives.
However if I managed to find the instructors that sent these people to me, I would gladly give them a few tips :wink:

No. I was allowing certified divers to take part in open water dives.
However if I managed to find the instructors that sent these people to me, I would gladly give them a few tips :wink:

As a dive professional yourself responsible for the group then isn't it also your responsibility to assure all are capable and not allow incompetent folks to participate? While they likely would not tip and you may be out of a "job" You have to admit that you know it falls on you, If you are always having to check others air then who knowledgable with the site is guiding the dive and finding the cool stuff for the competent folks?
I also noticed you decided not to mention the part about working legally

I walk my own equipment to the boat and set it up. I check my own air(are there actually some people who don't?), walk my gear off the boat, rinse and hang it. I will admit that on my first dive I was under weighted due to a new, thicker wet suit. I did mention this to the DM ahead of time and she did have some extra weights with her. This was the only time I have ever needed the DM to intervene with my weight. In Cozumel my dive op handles and stores our gear. It is worth tipping a little extra for this service. However, most other dive ops in the Caribbean are more DYI oriented.

I know the pay for DM's is dismal. However, it is unfair to expect the 'tippers' to shoulder the burden for those who don't.

I can see the air checking thing, I've been on enough dives with inexperienced divers to know that some people are right air hogs. Usually you can talk to them on the SI, find out what's going on. I had one guy explain to me that it was his understanding that you "needed" to be constantly breathing. The golden rule of scuba...don't hold your breath. He rocked the second dive and all subsequent ones.

Where air hogs and problems arise is when the DM decided to end the dive when the first person gets down to 500 PSI. Now I'm not diving in tipping environments, i.e. not resort diving, but if I were and I was forced up to the surface with 1200 PSI left in my tank because someone else got to low on air, I'd be demanding the DM tip me instead.

I can see the air checking thing, I've been on enough dives with inexperienced divers to know that some people are right air hogs. .

Then this is a problem with the certifying instructor that signed folks off saying they could plan and execute dives and if they could not do so in the future would seek more training, refresher, etc..
Most will not get into it because of finances just as WART would not keep the incompetents from diving because of money issues.

Then this is a problem with the certifying instructor that signed folks off saying they could plan and execute dives and if they could not do so in the future would seek more training, refresher, etc..
Most will not get into it because of finances just as WART would not keep the incompetents from diving because of money issues.

Yes, I agree. IMO, the air consumption thing is sometimes a matter of nervousness, and sometimes a matter of wanting to swim too fast. It *should* be covered in a STU if the diver is wise enough to seek one out.

One thing I haven't noticed is DMs talking to divers that they've never dived with before, about their experiences and expectations on the trip out to the site. I always talk to me new "buddies" both to get an estimate of their comfort level and to see if what I consider cool stuff will be of interest to them. Hey...I'm into indigo hamlets and little tiny trunkfish......

As a dive professional yourself responsible for the group then isn't it also your responsibility to assure all are capable and not allow incompetent folks to participate? While they likely would not tip and you may be out of a "job" You have to admit that you know it falls on you, If you are always having to check others air then who knowledgable with the site is guiding the dive and finding the cool stuff for the competent folks?
I also noticed you decided not to mention the part about working legally

Honestly, No.

The reality is that people will arrive with the correct cert card and up-to-date logbooks. In that situation I can only use the evidence in front of me.
My first boss gave me the best advice ever when it comes to taking out a new group of divers ' treat everyone like a muppet, until they prove you otherwise'.
Recently I had a diver who after 5 dives with me (bringing her to a total of 40) could still not figure out that she had to release air from her jacket when ascending. Normally halfway through the dive she would be finning straight down and I would have to go and release the butt-dump for her. I counselled her on this both above and below the water (she was OW) and still she could not get it. Her husband tipped me quite a lot and bought dinner and beers for my efforts.
So yes, I check air. Initially I check every ten minutes and then I set the interval based on the amount of air consumed so we can see the dive site and point out things. I also brief that I need to be told at 1500 psi and 700, however I'm lucky if people pay enough attention to their gauge to do this.
Work permits? You are kidding, right? You'd be lucky to find more than 20% of foreign intructors with a work permit in any part of the world, let alone Honduras. In fact if you asked all the Instructors in Roatan without permits to take the week off when you arrived, there would be no-one to take you diving! Please do not be so naive as to complain about work permits or taxes. We work incredibly hard for our small salaries and yet you will always find us at work with a smile on our face and a willingness to help. Go down the post office and see how many happy people you see there.
I do not work for tips. I had the luxury of getting them while in Honduras, however they are not customary when you do not have U.S customers. It is American custom to tip, so tip. You'd tip in Starbucks, why not for someone that can potentially save your life if in trouble?

I'd never tip at Starbucks, if I went to one. It's counter serve, not table, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom