Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The added tip for large groups in restaurants is rude and I don't support it, but there is a reason behind it. The following has happened to me numerous times when attending big tables :

A party asks for the check, calculates the split amount, and then pays. Most people in the party will leave a tip on top of what they owe… except the last one who is convieniently still busy looking for his wallet or talking on the phone. When it's that person's turn, he'll just say : "How much money do you still need ?" So for example instead of paying their USD20 meal, they'll just pay USD5……… These guys are just ripping me and their friends off, but there's nothing I can do or say about it. A tip is not mandatory by any means and only belongs to me after the entire table leaves the restaurant.

I thought in France they extracted the tip. :popcorn:

I wondered why tips were automatically added to groups. Makes sense annlaur, thanks.

I removed a tip added to separate tickets for a group in Tulsa once in '88. I really should have gone for the manager much earlier as it was probly his fault we were under served, not the waitresses. I didn't think of that until much later tho. You know, when we go someplace for fun, second thinking management, tip protocols, local economies, etc. is not foremost in my mind. I try to be thoughtful, but mostly I want to be a customer.

When we go to Sandals in Cuba we tip the waiters at the buffet because they know us and bring us our juice and coffee before we even sit down. :D We also tip the cooks at the different cooking sations. The guys at the seafood station really got to know my husband at lunch & supper and always gave him extra attention. Mine was the guy who made me pancakes every morning and the lady who made the incredible banana/nutella crepes.

As for diving I tried tipping the guy on the boat so he'd help me up the two sets of ladders but he always forgot....or was waiting for more money. Not impressed. If the guys on the boat at FI are very attentive; I have no problem tipping them.

To me a tip shouldn't be expected but given for a job well done.

Betty

I thought in France they extracted the tip. :popcorn:

French law requires restaurant owners to include in their posted menu prices a 5,5 % added-value tax (our equivalent of American sales tax) and a 15 % service charge.

To be honest, I'm not sure what that service tax is all about. It is supposed to help paying the staff, but I've never heard of any waiter getting a share of it – at least not directly. French waiters have a fixed salary above minimum wage. In bigger bars and restaurants open all day until late at night, some have an incentive on top of that (like an extra bill if they sell more than a certain amount during their shift. Probably to ensure they try hard to keep the place full and don't turn away customers to get a break… :crafty: ). Tips are still welcome, but they are by no means mandatory and there is no steadfast rule about how much to give.

(On soapbox) I hate everything about tipping!!! It’s an American habit supplementing employer’s payrolls...! I hate it with a passion and wish it was included with the meal, taxi fare, haircut, or Starbucks...!

We as a country (USA) are accustom to tipping while other countries do not... Europeans do not tip and if the crew at CCV or elsewhere got stiffed by a European group then take it up with the employer and require no tipping and have the AI and actual "AI"...!
(Off soapbox)
That being said; I was quite concerned with the tipping at CCV... However; by the end of the week, I was feeling that the effort the crew from top to bottom was second to none and felt a very good tip was not out of the question... I ended up giving our DM (from the wife and me) 125.00 and our boat operator 100.00. Housekeeping and other staff another 100.00. Gave Robert an additional 20 on the side... Could not have been a better trip and felt fine, actually good about the tips...

Also Betty and all... If at CCV, you can tip using your credit card if you like...! We used cash for the boat and CC for the rest.
lee

There are way too many tip jars in the US.

Typically my husband and I tip $5 per tank. We usually do two boat dives a day and pack $20 in our dry bag to give the DM at the end of the dive. If it is a dive op which is small, stores/handles our gear, changes our tanks, etc. we tip a little more. There was one time in Coz where I did not tip at the end of the first dive because we were going to do subsequent dives and were going to tip at the end of our vacation. Truth be told, I felt there was a bit of an attitude accompanied with the stink eye the following day. We ended up tipping for the two day's worth which drastically changed the overall tone. Ever since that 'incident' we tip at the end of each day just in case there is a misunderstanding or if the crew changes.

If I am in a regular hotel room I leave a tip of $3 each morning. If I am in a suite with a separate bedroom, I leave a $5 tip. Since I do not stay in all inclusives, I have no idea on what to tip in the restaurants. It is a nice gesture to give the staff coloring books, barrettes, and toys for their kids in addition to the tip since these items can be hard to obtain and expensive on the islands. The Dollar Store is a wealth of selection!

... there was a bit of an attitude accompanied with the stink eye the following day. ...

If I am in a regular hotel room I leave a tip of $3 each morning.

If there is stink eye I rebel. I then find a different service provider.

The bedstand tip is more of an agreement. I give you money, you don't go through my stuff.

If there is stink eye I rebel. I then find a different service provider.
I think this is rare, if not even imagined, altho the DMs will work harder to please when you tip daily I think - in Coz.

I think I asked the FIBR DM and he said to wait until the end of the week.
The bedstand tip is more of an agreement. I give you money, you don't go through my stuff.
One could say the same for the food server or dive leader.

I've had problems with maids no taking the money, perhaps for fear of making a mistake. I usually left a note the first day saying "maid" with it. They can get a translation if needed. I forgot some days in FIBR and doubled up the next day, hoping it was the same gal.

Regarding the "group tip"....when they add it in, I just pay it. I typically tip more than what they have calculated, but since they were so bold and "assumed" they gave me good service the heck with them. I once went to management and attempted to take the tip off and they refused. Yes, they were concerned about "why" and when I outlined my issues they apologized, but still refused to take the upcharged tip off.....never been back to that place.

I certainly understand the thought behind tipping, but now days tipping is an expectation; regardless, of service. In my job, I'm expected to do my best and give them a good days worth of work. I don't get any tips as an incentive to do this. I do consider myself a "good tipper" when it is deserved, but really hate the whole idea of it.

With all this said, the people we encountered at Fantasy Island, even before the management change were exceptional. I played the tipping game because that is how things work and how they earn their money. Still, what happened to all the money I already paid for the trip?

BTW, that was an interesting thing....passing the hat for the cooks. Never seen this before. So, using the same concepts, do they normally get paid more than the wait staff because tipping them isn't the norm?

Snagel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom