Tips for Cabo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there last April. Cabo Pulmo and Gordo Banks were the destinations of choice....but it's the off season for that area and they didn't run those trips that time of year. So we dove the dozen or so sites near Cabo. The good news is almost no boat trip. The bad new is no reef to speak off. Lots of rocks and formations. Huge schools of aquarium type fish in moderate viability. Didn't see much big or uber interesting...a lobster or crab here or there..The sand falls, where sand falls like a water fall over rocks with the tide is ok for a minute. Did dive with a bunch of sea lions dive bombing us....that was neat. The water is cold by comparison...we dove in 7 mil suits and that was cold when you hit a thermocline. Also salty...you need a couple lbs more weight. All in all Cabo gave us a chance to get wet....but Coz it isn't. We were there a couple of weeks, it was hard to justify going out more than just a few days, it got a little boring.

I just came back from Cabo. Primarily a family spring break get away but I managed to get in five dives. Downside was spring break and tons of obnoxious and drunk college kids but I loved the diving. Check out my video on YouTube for a sample.
Vis was not the greatest and I did feel a chill in a full 3mm at 70f but it was something different than the Caribbean or the cold dark Canadian waters where I mostly dive but all in all I had a great time. I understand from the locals that the Vis is better at other times of the year. I am planning to return later in the year with my regular dive buddy when waters are warmer and also do some of the Cabo Pulmo sites.
The diving couldn't be easier from the marina. Five minute boat ride and I saw tons of marine life big and small with interesting underwater structures and the added bonus of whale watching and gorgeous scenery. A little farther out, 20 minutes, is The Corridor, where there is a bit of coral and even more sea life. Did I mention the whale watching during the surface intervals! I also did a night dive from the marina and it was one of the nicest dives I have ever experienced.
I stayed at the Riu Santa Fe and did a bunch of research here and elsewhere deciding who would get my business. In the end I just walked down to the operator on site, Scuba Caribe, and did all my dives with them. They were nice people and I didn't need the extra hassle of lugging my gear to the marina and paying for a taxi. 87$ for a two tank dive. Pretty confident all operators go to all these sites so for me it comes down to convenience and price. All in all I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of diving in Cabo since it is talked about so little on this forum. It's a nice option for us on the west coast that is relatively cheap and accessible.

"ETA: Manta's website lists two tanks at Pulmo @ $240 (including transportation), while the Cabo Pulmo resort dive center has a two-tank dive for $85. For four divers that's a $620 dollar difference.
11.gif
Would love to be able to spend that on additional diving, or golf.
04.gif
"

If you have 4 diver I would bet they will come down to $75 per diver. or $300 or less. As other have said you will be diving boulders and rocks, Viz 10 ft to 70 ft. All and all different but the same, It can be great diving. We never knew what we would see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom