tips on packing for saba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diving is Saba is great and the island is amazing. Sea Saba will not have fresh water for gear on the boat. Long hot showers are going to be difficult as there is very little fresh water on the island. You may want to bring your own solar shower and set it in the sun in the morning so that you have hot water after your dives.

There are some other threads here with more info on Saba if you search. It is a great island!

i did email win-air and they responded that yes, you get that extra allowance for dive gear. that's good!

Glad to hear it, donnad. Black Dog - sounds like you should give WinAir a call. Maybe that weight allowance is only for Saba and not St. Barts.

trigfunctions:
Glad to hear it, donnad. Black Dog - sounds like you should give WinAir a call. Maybe that weight allowance is only for Saba and not St. Barts.
I wonder how much longer that will last. Here is a story in the local paper. Read the end of the story.

Staff recognised for dedicated service~

COLE BAY--Staff of Windward Islands Airways International (Winair) were reassured by Board Chairman Fernando Williams and Managing Director Edwin Hodge that all is being done to ensure the airline is safe and stays in the air.

Williams shared this with the staff and family members, management and other board members at the airline’s gala dinner held at La Terrasse, Port de Plaisance, last week.

He also stressed the importance of management and staff working together to bring Winair back to its rightful place of leadership in the Caribbean air transport field.

The airline is definitely going places, as its debt gap is closing, Hodge said. “We boast that the liquidity position of Winair is improving, but we are not out of the woods yet. We still have to keep our belts tight and look for ways and means to cut cost to enable the company to have savings, which will eventually come back to all of us.”

The company has grown in its 45 years’ history from a seasonal airline for the North American and European markets an established name in the Caribbean and South America through partnerships with Insel Air, Surinam Airways and Conviasa.

Hodge also stressed management’s commitment to the workers and their well being. “The goal of management is your goal, which is to keep Winair safe, to improve customer service and finally become a profitable airline for all of us.”

To mitigate the shortage of pilots and mechanics, staffers were told that Winair will soon give the opportunity to qualified persons to apply for sponsorship to become commercial pilots/mechanics, who will in turn work for Winair.

Several staff members were recognised by board and management for their dedicated service to the company. Recognised were Aline Fleming (Flight Operations), James Barry (Ground Crew), Roberto Richie (Pilot), Cassidy Hendricks (Customer Services), Jonathon Da Silva (Finance Department), Teslyn Henry (Revenue Accounting Department) and Keeven Duzong (Maintenance).

Dennis Dowling, retired mechanic, was honoured for giving more than 30 years of service to Winair by keeping the aircraft safe. Gertrude Souchet was also honoured for her 30 years and counting of service in Winair Customer Service Department.

Staff members were informed that as the airline seeks to increase its excess baggage revenue, a portion will be returned to all staff of the customer service department.

Cheques for NAf. 65 to NAf. 560 were presented to some 15 staff members. All of them had the opportunity to win prizes, such as tickets on partner airlines, hotel stays and dinners.

We were in Saba in June. In terms of packing, we were not charged extra for our dive gear on WinAir. Our carryons were placed in the nose compartment of the plane as there was not room for them in the cabin. One thing that is a MUST is a flashlight if you are planning on going up to going up to the ecolodge. We wore shorts and capris each evening and lived in our bathing suits during the days as we did 4 dives per day. Take good shoes if you plan on hiking up Mt. Scenery. A fanny pack that could hold your drinking water would be great so that your hands can be free to catch you if you slip on the slippery trail. In terms of water usage, remember that the water is collected via sisterns so they won't be happy if they think you are using too much. Believe me, we enjoyed long warm showers but also got dirty looks when we spent too much time/water rinsing sand from our shoes. DO NOT miss diving on Diamond Rock. It is my all time favorite dive! Saw a shark, turtle and octopus all on one dive.

thanks for the input!! can't wait to go!! (sixteen more weeks! ughhhh!)

I don't remember if they sell them on the island. I bought mine in the St. Maarten airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom