Tired diver tow or push?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that I use for the tow is to turn onto my side a bit. This does two things: (A) I can see where I am going better than on my back.
(B) I can use my arm to help move the diver.

crpntr133:
One thing that I use for the tow is to turn onto my side a bit. This does two things: (A) I can see where I am going better than on my back.
(B) I can use my arm to help move the diver.

Yeah, that'll help vary your kick as well and keep you from tiring our or cramping as easily and on your side you should present a little more streamlined profile to the water... On long surface swims I always wind up alternating a lot...

For me it's the tow, for several reasons..............

1) The diver is not dead so they can help fin...
2) I feel like I have more control over the diver....
3) Easier to speak to the diver, your right next to their ear.......
4) Easier to manage the BCD.......

But as we tell all the students, master both types and then let the situation tell you what's best.....

lamont:
Yeah, that'll help vary your kick as well and keep you from tiring our or cramping as easily and on your side you should present a little more streamlined profile to the water... On long surface swims I always wind up alternating a lot...

Also if in a rescue situation you can easily pull them up to you and control them as well. They won't be able to flip over and grab you. This is similar to a life guard manuver from by gone years.

the first (and only) time i dove with a friend from work, he got tangled in some kelp while returning to monastary beach and paniced, hyperventalated. i ended up towing him back to shore pulling him by his tank valve while we swam on our backs. the ability to talk to him and mellow him out really helped, and we made good time as he was able to help when he calmed down and started breathing normally.

wasnt really into diving with him any more though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom