Tired of naysayers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also it is my understanding that all the glass and brass SPG's do come from a factory in Italy that is the only only one in the world that makes them. Remember that scuba is a relatively small market. What I don't know is if there are quality differences between them. Some people say yes and others say no.

I'm struck by the common misconception of regulators as "life support" that's repeated on this thread. One of the constant themes in scuba instruction, from OW certification through technical diving, is how to safely deal with regulator failure and/or OOA scenarios. Don't any of you remember that?

If divers were truly dependent on regulators to keep us alive, and reg failure was truly life threatening, there would be a lot more dead divers, and regulator service would be highly controlled. There are a few mentions of 'certified' regulator techs in this thread; well, certified as a reg tech means that you A) work at a dive shop that deals in the brand you're 'certified' in and B) you've taken a one or two day no-fail seminar. Does that sound like appropriate qualifications for someone with whom you're trusting your life? How about if a surgeon or airplane pilot had two days of training that nobody fails?

Anyone who really believes that their life is dependent on the work of someone with such minimal qualifications, and then trusts that person with their 'life support' gear, is a bit delusional.

Death and/or injury is much more likely to be a result of brake failure in a car than of scuba gear failure, yet anyone can waltz into an auto parts store and buy brake parts. Brake systems in cars are much more complex than scuba regulators.

Brake systems typically are redundant, yes?

Brake systems typically are redundant, yes?

Newer models usually have some level of redundancy, but when the brake pedal becomes non-functional; it's the Fred and Barney backup brake system.

I have been servicing my own regulators for many years with no failures. I prefer to do the work myself because then I know it is done right. The only other person I have ever let touch my regulators is an old friend who owns the only LDS that I will do business with. He has long been a source of advice and parts.

Anyone who really believes that their life is dependent on the work of someone with such minimal qualifications, and then trusts that person with their 'life support' gear, is a bit delusional.

^ Fact. These are the same ones who "drank the PADI koolaid" long ago and poopoo solo diving.

There was a time before all these cash-cow training agencies came along. back then, a lot of the gear was experimental or DIY.

People seem to like this word NEVER. My take is that mankind is negative by nature, and pretty much afraid of making, or at least admitting to, mistakes of any kind.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented.” Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899

"Men might as well project a voyage to the Moon as attempt to employ steam navigation against the stormy North Atlantic Ocean."
- Dr. Dionysus Lardner (1793-1859), Professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy at University College, London.

"They will never try to steal the phonograph because it has no `commercial value.' "
- Thomas Edison (1847-1931).

"This `telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a practical form of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."
- Western Union internal memo, 1878

That the automobile has practically reached the limit of its development is suggested by the fact that during the past year no improvements of a radical nature have been introduced.
- Scientific American, Jan. 2, 1909.

Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
- Marshal Ferdinand Foch, French military strategist, 1911. He was later a World War I commander.

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
- Kenneth Olsen, president and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

Here are some better uses of the word.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." Albert Einstein

"Never invest your money in anything that eats or needs repairing." Billy Rose

"Never eat more than you can lift." Miss Piggy

And this one would be a good sig line.

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.
- Peter Ustinov

How do you deal with the "it'll kill you; it's life support gear; buy new; throw it out" crowd while still trying to glean intelligent information from someone who might know something? How do you separate the guy who won't have anyone but a certified "reg tech" change his hoses from a real source who knows what she's talking about?

No air? Share with your buddy and surface..

No air and no buddy? Surface without him.

In recreational SCUBA, no equipment is "life support" except your brain.

flots.

Most of this SCUBA DIY stuff isn't rocket science, including rebuilding your own regulators.

Reg rebuild is probably lower cost to have someone do it (a shop) because often times you need a few specialized tools and equipment. How much of that special stuff you need depends on the regulator. Again, it's not rocket science. I would recommend working with someone who is proficient and has done it more than a few times before you rip into your regs, though.

If one is going to be much of a tech diver one will need to be a bit of a DIYer or one will have to depend on someone else to do even the most basic if maintenance.

If YOU aren't comfortable or so inclined to service a regulator, don't dissuade someone else from doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom