Tired of trip reports? Here's mine. BA/CB 4/16-4/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from our 7 day trip to Cozumel. This is our 2nd trip in two years and we already feel like regulars! I’ll start out with the bad news:

• We didn’t get to meet Underachiever whom now owes me a brewski
  • We didn’t get to see Driftin’ By nor GGUNN (nor the rest of you SB regulars) as our vacations didn’t overlap this year

Now, with the good….

Started with three days in Cancun at the Moon Palace for a conference. Nice place. Marble floors and Jacuzzi tubs in the hotel rooms. Did some windsurfing, sailing, eating, and laying by the pool. Oh yea – I also had to “work” some of the time.

After the conference let out on Wed, I hopped a cab to Playa del Carmen, caught the ferry and made my way to Coz. Ferry ride was nice. There was a band on board that everyone seemed to enjoy. They also sell drinks, so I enjoyed a Sol during the crossing.

Once into the port at Cozumel, me and my 49 lb duffel bag and 20 lb backpack delicately sidestepped around the tour / scooter rental / snorkel salespeople and headed for the familiar white maroon-striped cabs. 10 minutes later, I was walking into the friendly confines of the Caribe Blu check in desk.

This is only our second time to Cozumel and CB, but it sure felt like I was home. The Moon Palace is a very nice place, but you can have your 3,000 guest hotels. I’ll take quaint over crowds anytime.

Found my wife (who already landed in Coz, checked into the CB, and had made it to Cherduai for beer/water/snacks, bless her heart), and we talked about plans for the week. Decided to do a quick shore dive to check her new BCD and Reg setup and cool off.

We both were thinking Casa Denis would be a great first meal, so we headed downtown and had a nice dinner.

From this point on, I’ll spare the gory details and just summarize the rest:

Diving
Dove (dived?) Palancar caves, Tormentos, Santa Rosa wall, Chun Chakaab (twice), Delila, Columbia Deep, Columbia Shallows, Paradise, and two shore dives at BA. Saw three nurse sharks, free swimming green moray, spider crab, regular crab, big lobster, spotted eel, sharp tailed eel, monster-sized parrot fish, sting rays, grouper, a neat little cleaning station, turtles (including a HUGE VW-bus sized turtle), and a few juvenile drum.

Current was ripping at Santa Rosa with poor vis. Last year, we hardly ever noticed any current – this year, we had current just about everywhere and probably more “normal” for Coz. We were a little cold on our first two days diving in shorties. Rented a full 3 mil suit for wife and that helped. Water temp showed 78 degrees. Saw a few thimble jellyfish on one dive, but no stings! Shore dives in front of BA were a nice way to practice photography and test our gear. There’s plenty to see there and the new Stingray pen didn’t bother me at all, except for the fact that they stingrays seem like they’d like to get out of there. We saw spotted eels, sharp tailed eel, and plenty of variety there – go to the south end of the stringray pen and there’s some nice coral heads there.

We found ourselves with a variety of dive partners on various boats this trip. One couple form Missouri that have dived all over the world. I enjoyed hearing their stories of dive trips and appreciated their photo tips. Also met and dove with Coy and Stephen from Houston (yes, I’m still wearing that white shirt, Coy!), Lee and Cindy from Palm Springs (hey – did you know you can buy dive stuff on e-bay?), Sam and Nancy from Minnesota (you put a valve on your regulator hose? Are you nuts?), Vincente from Mexico City, and Robert(o) from Steamboat, Colorado. What a life that guy has. Skiing ½ the year, diving the other half. He’s my personal hero.

Blue Angel
BA was good as usual – efficient, friendly, enthusiastic. Had Gorge, Jorge, and Jose. Missed diving with Pumba during his last few days there. His voice cuts through everyone else’s in the morning. The sound of Pumba’s voice and air tanks banging on concrete was our alarm clock! I might try to record that sound and put it on my iPod. Living Underwater boat was a little rough, but didn’t bother us. Chiquimax is a very nice boat and we enjoyed that two days. Pace of the diving is nice – put together your own reg/BCD/air tank if you want or they’ll do it for you. I rinsed our gear, laid it out to dry, and forgot to put it back in the locker room 3 days in a row (chalk it up to sun/cerveza/etc.), and each night, they brought it in for me.

Hotel
As usual, the rooms were very clean and the cleaning staff works very well behind the scenes to keep it spotless. All the rooms now have refrigerators (per Jeanie)! They seem to be bringing in more tour boats weekdays for a stop at Rendez Blu and that slowed things down quite a bit as the restaurant got quite busy when 12 people come off the boat. Service was very slow at times, but still great chicken tacos, chips and salsa, and cold beer. The slow service was our only complaint.

Food
Tried a few of our favorites from last time and some new spots:
Sonora Grill – maybe our best dinner! I had grilled grouper with garlic – very delicate, right amount of seasoning, beautiful presentation on the plate. Wife had skirt steak which was perfectly marinated, tender, and tasty. Service was quick and efficient and the open air upstairs location provided a nice breeze. Table cloths, strolling guitar player, etc. I’d go back twice next trip.
El Pique – great chicken and al pastor tacos. Cheap, but our lack of fluent Espanol prevented us from deciphering much of the menu. Quick, cheap, tasty eats!
La Perlita – oh my gosh – GREAT fish and shrimp tacos. The fish and shrimp is normally fried, but two of the four of us wanted it grilled, and they accommodated that request. The fish is grouper and the fried versions were my favorite. Very lightly breaded and chopped – not your typical Red Lobster fried stuff. Habanero sauce may have a little plutonium in the recipe - HOT! Service was very attentive and friendly. We’d go there twice on our next trip. Way back in the hood, but a superb lunch.
Los Otates – tried this place for the first time. Actually went there twice! Three al pastor tacos, a torta, veggie burrito, two beers, a fanta, and the bill was $10. We went back again and it wasn’t quite as good – probably because we ate at La Perlita for lunch that day and it’s not fair to compare the two! We’d go back again for a quick dinner. Very casual outdoor seating, not too touristy.
Rockin’ Java – had breakfast on our last morning – good potato/egg burritos and croissandwich. Nice air conditioned place to have coffee and breakfast.
La Choza – I really like the atmosphere here. Dinners were very good, complete with lentil or noodle soup. Very good service here, also.
Casa Denis – good grilled fish with garlic. Wasn’t quite as tasty as I remembered last year, but still a very nice dinner and a worthy stop.
Pancho’s Backyard – once again, the service was awesome – I don’t know how they do it, but they wait staff is just so willing to please. Food was very good, maybe just a tad too tex-mex, but still a great place to eat.

Anyway, that’s our trip. Many good memories and I think we’ve found a place that we’d return to (at least) once per year.

I'll post up a few pics once I figure out how to make fish NOT look like they are afraid of me and my camera.

Sorry dude. We may have passed each other. We hung out more down the street this time than we normally do. We dove with Scuba Mau after the first couple of days and after the winds died down. CB and Rendez Blue were crowded. Looked like some large groups were there.

Do not worry though. Your cervesa did not go to waste.:) Maybe next time.

There was another couple from SB that were supposed to be at CB as well. She had PM'ed me saying they had gone to Belize instead, due to some flight problems.

Sounds like you had a good time.

Doug, Awesome report! What a way to start a Friday morning with just 31 days until my trip. What can I say? Next year we're just gonna have to plan it better. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. I've learned the hard way, that no amount of post processing is gonna make those fish look happy to see you. :) I share you sentiment exactly about the 3000 guest hotels on the mainland with their jacuzzi hot tubs and marble floors.

Hey, Doug, sorry we missed you guys this time. Ano proximo! Glad to hear things there are much as we remember; we'll be there a week from tomorrow.

as promised (threatened)... here are some pics:

Lobby of CB at sunset:

coz_08_Tuesday080Medium.jpg

Spotted eel not happy with me

coz_08_Monday030aMedium.jpg

Angels tailgating a turtle:

coz_08_Monday067aMedium.jpg

Grouper at the cleaning station - (cheapo didn't even tip):

coz_08_Monday075aMedium.jpg

Shark 30 feet below us during our safety stop:

coz_08_Monday077aMedium.jpg

Moray not happy with me:

coz_08_Tuesday046aMedium2.jpg

Lobster not happy with me:

coz_08_Tuesday050aMedium.jpg

Bubble blowers behind the reef:

coz_08_friday184Medium.jpg

Moe, Larry, and Curly:

coz_08_friday266aMedium.jpg

View from room 301 at the CB:

coz_08_Saturday113Medium.jpg

Ugh, now I'm definitely homesick! Great shots especially the green moray. Looks like you've mastered manual white balance.

ahhhhhhh, I never grow tired of trip reports. I'm diving through them this year from home instead of our usual trip down to the island... Thanks for taking the time to share your fun. Sounds like loads of great food places, dives, and fun was had! Enjoyed your pictures too. Man, I miss that blue stuff! It feels great to be "hooked" on the island. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Enjoyed your trip report. My fav buddy and I were at the Caribe Blu the week before you and had an awesome time! Pumba is awesome and will be sorely missed at BA....... I believe you can find him now at Scuba Mau, the new kids in town, who are great to dive with by the way....

Back
Top Bottom