Titan eCCR vs. Prism 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OTSCL T-pieces I've seen have involved moving parts in so far as they rotate so you can adjust loop hose routing, using dynamic double barrel o-ring seals.

Personally I don't understand why you folks get so much water in your loop that you worry about tolerance, but that's cool if it was a requirement for you.

It was done for loop flood practice (Yes, required for the course, as loss of loop can happen).... I've seen where water has gotten past the lips (very cold water, where you literally can not feel your face). I'm not all that worried about tolerance, as getting rid of the water from the counterlung is very quick & easy. Let's face it,.. flood your counterlungs & the dive is over, mine,... displace with air or O2 & I'm good to keep going.. BTW the WOB of the Prism ranks right up there on the top also. Breathes as easy as my MK25/ S600 (which I have adjusted very light).You know,.. we can go tit for tat about this that & the other. I was giving my $.02 on the Prism, as the OP asked.

It would help to know what you intended to do with your rebreather/what are the dives that have you interested and what depths they are at.

Good point - I should have stated this at the beginning.

My long-term goal is to explore and penetrate wrecks and sites of old civilizations (including caves) with the aim of recovering artifacts for study and preservation (by those capable of doing it properly - I have no intention of hoarding them myself).

A more short-term goal of mine is to explore Truk Lagoon and dive the deep wrecks (i.e. Aikoku Maru - 230 fsw), as well as other sites that allow more penetration opportunities.

Ideally my choice of a rebreather would be able to handle warm and cold water alike given my ambitions, although it's very likely I'll be in warm water the majority of the time given where I live. More importantly, the unit needs to be suitable for tight overhead areas. If it should get banged against something, it needs to be able to handle it.

Last edited:
You know,.. we can go tit for tat about this that & the other.

Totally agree. It highlights the fact that none of these machines are perfect :) Mine is no better than yours, it just ticked different boxes.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 03:17 PM ----------

My long-term goal is to explore and penetrate wrecks and sites of old civilizations (including caves) with the aim of recovering artifacts for study and preservation (by those capable to doing it - I have no intention of hoarding them myself).

A more short-term goal of mine is to explore Truk Lagoon and dive the deep wrecks (i.e. Aikoku Maru - 230 fsw), as well as other sites that allow more penetration opportunities.

Ideally my choice of a rebreather would be able to handle warm and cold water alike given my ambitions, although it's very likely I'll be in warm water the majority of the time given where I live. More importantly, the unit needs to be suitable for tight overhead areas. If it should get banged against something, it needs to be able to handle it.

So basically, you want one machine that will do everything :) (Honestly, it's the answer most people give) The best advice I can give you is to do a lot of reading and talk to a lot of rebreather divers. When I did my homework I was really interested in:

1. How often the unit was being dove to keep skills sharp
2. How frequently the unit was being dove to depths between 150-200 feet
3. How frequently the unit was being dove to depths between 200-300 feet
4. How frequently the unit was being dove to depths greater than 300 feet
5. Perceived limitations or design flaws of the system (People will always tell you what they love about their machine)
6. Types of failures the diver had experienced
7. How much down time did maintenance cause them (were they able to repair the machine themselves or did they have to send it home for care)
8. What are the people on your future diving team diving - are they familiar with your unit
9. Do the other divers have experience with more than just the machine they're diving (can you count on them for an honest and informed opinion)
10. What amount of local support is there for the units you're looking at

That should give you a good start... good luck! It's a hell of a way to dive.

The OTSCL T-pieces I've seen have involved moving parts in so far as they rotate so you can adjust loop hose routing, using dynamic double barrel o-ring seals.

Prism 2 doesn't have T-pieces, or any connections which rotate underwater. It's a very nice, easy to use and breathe unit.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 05:10 AM ----------

BTW the WOB of the Prism ranks right up there on the top also. Breathes as easy as my MK25/ S600 (which I have adjusted very light).You know,.. we can go tit for tat about this that & the other. I was giving my $.02 on the Prism, as the OP asked.

I'm with you, P2 breathes extremely well (but I have never dove or even breathed another unit). My primary bailout reg is P2 BOV, and my backup bailout reg is a MK25/S600 on bailout cylinder.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 05:16 AM ----------

Good point - I should have stated this at the beginning.

I dove my P2 while staying aboard the Truk Odyssey from Feb 16-23, took it down to 178' while diving the San Francisco Maru. I dove it exclusively the whole week. BTW, contrary to internet lore, the Odyssey does support rebreathers, and has tri-mix banked onboard. I'm taking Normoxic CCR in June with Peter Sotis at Add Helium in Pompano Beach Florida, and have a trip booked to Normoxic dive my P2 in the Dry Tortuga's aboard the MV Spree in Aug.

I'm with you, P2 breathes extremely well (but I have never dove or even breathed another unit).

This is why it's so hard to get information on rebreathers. Most people only know the one unit they've trained on and feel like they made the best decision and proclaim it to be so. I'm only one ahead of you, but one of my main goals for this year is to buy and learn at least two more machines. There's so much variability that I feel you really need a variety of data points to make statements like, "work of breathing is great"

(FWIW: It's highly subjective, the breathing machine reports are available, but all of the manufacturers feel that their unit is misrepresented or was tested incorrectly. In general, I feel like most of the commercially available units are fine to 200 feet... once you get deeper than that it becomes more apparent. I know two people who have switched to Hollis machine, from various others, on the deepest wrecks we have @ ~380fsw and say it's fine for depth.)

I beleive he is referring to a "rebreather pilot" , i.e. a diver.

-Woosh- the sound the joke made as it sailed over his head.

Honestly whoever started the trend of calling RB divers "pilots" should be shot... Or at least get salt in a cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly whoever started the trend of calling RB divers "pilots" should be shot... Or at least get salt in a cut

Ah, but what if it's a RB diver flying a scooter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom