Titan eCCR vs. Prism 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is why it's so hard to get information on rebreathers. Most people only know the one unit they've trained on and feel like they made the best decision and proclaim it to be so. I'm only one ahead of you, but one of my main goals for this year is to buy and learn at least two more machines. There's so much variability that I feel you really need a variety of data points to make statements like, "work of breathing is great"

(FWIW: It's highly subjective, the breathing machine reports are available, but all of the manufacturers feel that their unit is misrepresented or was tested incorrectly. In general, I feel like most of the commercially available units are fine to 200 feet... once you get deeper than that it becomes more apparent. I know two people who have switched to Hollis machine, from various others, on the deepest wrecks we have @ ~380fsw and say it's fine for depth.)

Good point. I wasn't going to weigh in on this but since I have trained on AP Inspitration, Titan,Prism 2, Meg, Kiss I can say without the slightest hesitation that OTS counterlungs breath better in all positions over back mounted counterlungs hands down. I am not sure what this chest real estate that BMCLs always talk about is for. Are you putting up hotels?

Good point. I wasn't going to weigh in on this but since I have trained on AP Inspitration, Titan,Prism 2, Meg, Kiss I can say without the slightest hesitation that OTS counterlungs breath better in all positions over back mounted counterlungs hands down. I am not sure what this chest real estate that BMCLs always talk about is for. Are you putting up hotels?

As someone who has only done a trial dive on an Optima, and has no other experience with any closed circuit systems.....I can say that the clutter on my chest from the OTSCLs drove me bonkers. There was just SO much crap going on. I could learn to get used to it, but I can TOTALLY see the argument for BMCLs for that reason alone. However, it seems like I'd want OTSCLs on an eCCR for the ease of access to MAVs and dump valves. Again, I think it comes down to Pros and Cons of each system.

Of all the systems you listed above, which do you prefer (cost and reliablity aside, just performance)? Which do you dive (or dive most)? Titan vs Prism2...which would you prefer?

I dove my P2 while staying aboard the Truk Odyssey from Feb 16-23, took it down to 178' while diving the San Francisco Maru. I dove it exclusively the whole week. BTW, contrary to internet lore, the Odyssey does support rebreathers, and has tri-mix banked onboard.

Nice! I'm really looking forward to getting over there - hopefully with a rebreather!

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 09:57 AM ----------

Have you taken the rebreathers to significant depths (200+ fsw)? Does the WOB became so significant as to noticeably impact the dive, even with trimix?

Nice! I'm really looking forward to getting over there - hopefully with a rebreather!

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2014 at 09:57 AM ----------

Have you taken the rebreathers to significant depths (200+ fsw)? Does the WOB became so significant as to noticeably impact the dive, even with trimix?

Yes
Yes

I clearly need to try an OTSCL model at some point, because I find the rEvo II comparable in WOB at 300' with 50% helium dil to my M1s around the same depth (assuming true horizontal trim). If OTS are that much better, they must be doing the breathing for me. I may not be a great datapoint for deciding how BMCL could work for someone, though, because I use a DPV on all dives and avoid exertion like the plague. If you're kicking hard at 150' on air, difference in WOB may be much more noticable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom