Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easier to just place the rabbit in a 3 ton hydraulic press and see what happens. I don't think it would look much like a rabbit after.
May be the skull would crush, but we are talking about the teeth?

May be the skull would crush, but we are talking about the teeth?
Hit a tooth with a hammer and see how much tooth is left

Hit a tooth with a hammer and see how much tooth is left
When you hit a tooth with a hammer, the force applied from one direction. Hydraulic force comes from all directions. That’s why spherical objects are the strongest structures as the force comes from all directions towards a point at the center of the objects. So, pounding it with a hammer is not the same as hydraulic force.

When you hit a tooth with a hammer, the force applied from one direction. Hydraulic force comes from all directions. That’s why spherical objects are the strongest structures as the force comes from all directions towards a point at the center of the objects. So, pounding it with a hammer is not the same as hydraulic force.
Although crushing bodies within a collapsing pressure vessel is more akin to crushing a tooth between a hammer and anvil than just subjecting a body to hydraulic pressure.

It would be an interesting test by putting a dead animal skull (road-killed squirrel?) in a carbon fiber cylinder inside a pressure chamber full of water, pressure up the chamber into 6000 PSIg and let the carbon-fiber cylinder imploded and examining the remains. I bet they are till intact.
Maybe, but there is a bunch of energy released and I'm betting on high temperatures.

Is anybody an oral surgeon or work in a dentist's office? Sounds like we need to secure a supply of teeth so we can do some hands on testing.

Maybe, but there is a bunch of energy released and I'm betting on high temperatures.
I’ve seen a calculation that as the air compressed, temps as high as 6000C were calculated. I don’t have the inclination to check the math.

I’ve seen a calculation that as the air compressed, temps as high as 6000C were calculated. I don’t have the inclination to check the math.
That sounds way less fun than pounding on some teeth with a hammer.

Another thought comes to mind is some of the implosion energy are being absorbed by the crushing of the carbon-fiber cylinder, so the impact on the objects inside the submersible would be less.

(This is not my work)

Modeling the compression of the air in the sub like adiabatic compression:

dU + δW = δQ=0

Treat the air inside the sub as an ideal gas:

δW = PdV

U = αPV = αnRT

dU = d(αPV) = αVdP+αPdV

Substituting into conservation:

dU = -δW

αVdp+αPdV = -PdV

Integrate:

∫-(α+1)pdV = ∫αVdP

ln(P/Po) = -((α+1)/α) ln(V/Vo)

We will write ɣ = ((α+1)/α) then:

(P/Po) = (Vo/V)^(ɣ)

Finally substitute V = nRT/P and Vo = nRTo/Po

Simplify to get:

T = To(P/Po)^((ɣ-1)/ɣ)

ɣ = (5DOF + 2)/5DOF = 1.4 for air

Pressure inside the sub Po ~1atm

Pressure at 13000ft P ~ 400atm

Initial temperature inside the sub To ~273K (Its cold down there)

Plugging in you get... 1500K almost exactly. That's approximately how hot the air inside that sub got for a moment as it collapsed to that pressure.

Reactions: L13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom