Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(This is not my work)

Modeling the compression of the air in the sub like adiabatic compression:

dU + δW = δQ=0

Treat the air inside the sub as an ideal gas:

δW = PdV

U = αPV = αnRT

dU = d(αPV) = αVdP+αPdV

Substituting into conservation:

dU = -δW

αVdp+αPdV = -PdV

Integrate:

∫-(α+1)pdV = ∫αVdP

ln(P/Po) = -((α+1)/α) ln(V/Vo)

We will write ɣ = ((α+1)/α) then:

(P/Po) = (Vo/V)^(ɣ)

Finally substitute V = nRT/P and Vo = nRTo/Po

Simplify to get:

T = To(P/Po)^((ɣ-1)/ɣ)

ɣ = (5DOF + 2)/5DOF = 1.4 for air

Pressure inside the sub Po ~1atm

Pressure at 13000ft P ~ 400atm

Initial temperature inside the sub To ~273K (Its cold down there)

Plugging in you get... 1500K almost exactly. That's approximately how hot the air inside that sub got for a moment as it collapsed to that pressure.
1226 C. Uncomfortably hot, but not incineration in .02 seconds hot.

1226 C. Uncomfortably hot, but not incineration in .02 seconds hot.
Not even close. You would need a few minutes even at that temp to incinerate bones. Contrary to popular belief, incinerators at crematoria do not produce ash. Huge magnets pull out any ferrous metal then the remains are crushed mechanically into fine ash. Who knows what they found down there.

Loring Chien, former principal engineer at Fortune 1000 company (2002-2016) answer this question in Quora Quest:

“Were the corpses of Titan Submarine found?”

His answer:
“It is very likely that the bodies were severely mangled by the implosion of the hull. The contents of the hull would have been crushed to about 1/400th the volume by the 6000 PSI of pressure. The inrushing water would be like a huge piston causing both enormous pressure rise and probable very high flash temperatures as the existing air was compressed in an instant.

They have said they recovered some human remains. What exactly they were and how small and what condition was thankfully not described.”
One YouTuber put it this way - "You stop being biology and become physics."

And a number of the latter posts are why I very nearly didn't make my previous post. 😑

One of the things I am thinking about when the speed of the implosion, inertia. I understand the suddenness of the implosion and how quickly things accelerate IN. But they also come to a stop.

It would be interesting to examine that Titanium cap and see what kind of imprints were forged on the inside.

Titan Sub Wrong Coating? Hull Construction, Debri…:

The point I'm making is that being mad about the cost of the rescue operation, is just not the right thing to be mad about. The military and the coast guard are very expensive. If we sat down as a society and decided that rescue operations shouldn't be done, yeah, we would all save a couple dollars on our taxes. But we wouldn't be making an improvement -- having these resources ready to deploy as emergencies arise is worth the cost.
I don’t understand people when they get mad about the costs of the military, coast guards, search and rescue departments etc. if they’d like to defund them, they’d be more likely to be screwed if assistance is required. The less funding, the less employees, and the less operations they can take on.

The quote that sticks for me ... "The abyss doesn’t care if you went to Princeton or that your ancestors signed the Declaration of Independence. If you want to go down into her world, she sets the rules."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom