TLBG on the new oceanic computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone explain why oceanic went from a 7 segment TLBG (tissue loading bar graph) before DECO to an 4 segment TLBG?

My VT3 and all prior oceanics had 7 segments on TLBG before going into DECO and it was nice to be able to see the segments climb and get a good sense of where I was with my tissue loading. I dove with a buddy recently who had the VT4 and his scale had only 4 segments. Essentially we both hit segments 1,2,3 at the same time and then while I slowly climbed from 4, 5, 6, 7 (if I chose) he sat at 4 constantly with little idea of his tissue loading. Now before anyone jumps in, I do realize that the TLBG is an added extra as the only thing that counts is obeying my no deco time remaining and in reality I would have plenty warning that DECO was approaching as my No Deco times at a given depth would begin to decrease into the single digits.

The reason I really like the TLBG with 7 segments was that I could use it to achieve a level of conservatism and when diving I choose never to go above 6 segments and consider entry into segment 7 as a sign to begin to rise even if I have 10 mins or so at a given depth. When diving with my daughter (12) we have chosen not to go above 4 segments. As stated I know I can build all of that into the ND time remaining even without any TLBG graph I am just interested in knowing why oceanic made that change

Thanks

I am just starting to get used to a 7 segment TLBG. My Oceanic Data Plus has a 15 segment TLBG with 12 green and 3 yellow ticks. I worked it out once with divePAL that each tick was about a 6% load of the controlling compartment. It probably did not need that much resolution in the lower end of the graph but I got used to it in the upper end. In any event, regardless of the resolution, when you start pushing the limits on the TLBG, it is time to pay more attention to the NDL values. I also tend to use the upper end of my TLBG to regulate my rest stop. I like to drop a tick or 2 when I get into the yellow. With less resolution, I guess you just have to depend more on the time.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that put a lot of stock into the TLBG. For me I like being able to control my conservatism. I am sure I could do the same without a TLBG by remaining committed to staying at least "x" mins away from DECO but if there is to be a TLBG, one with 7-12 segments makes a whole lot more sense than 4 segments.

Some years back we scaled the bar graph back in order to add additional data to the main display while keeping the digits as large as possible. This is one of those things that if you ask 10 divers their preference you just might get 12 answers. We've recently taken the opposite approach with the new line of AERIS computers - where we've moved secondary data (max depth, elapsed time) to an alternate display, making current depth and no deco time large and prominent on the display - while bringing back a high resolution bar graph (20 segments) in this generation. I "grew up" using Oceanic's early computers with these large bar graphs as well - and utilized the bar graph as all of you are mentioning, ultimately to define my own level of conservatism, in some cases on the fly. I'm not overly concerned about getting into the yellow or deco if I've got enough gas - I did do what I could via multi-level profile or extended safety stop to bring the bar graph down - in my case, I always shot for at least one segment away from the yellow zone. You'll notice that we've taken this to a new level with what used to be the yellow "caution zone" - and now identify the segments in this section of the bar graph by percentage of tissue loading (75% - 95%). Sorry to hijack our own thread - but I couldn't resist since so much of this kind of feedback has been taken into account with this new line.

p_computers_a100_2guage_front1.jpg

......... Sorry to hijack our own thread - but I couldn't resist since so much of this kind of feedback has been taken into account with this new line.
You can't do that :wink:

But, since you started it ...... here you go!

[video=youtube;DxRkuXp3QJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxRkuXp3QJQ[/video]

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom