To All The Fast Divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Define "small section". Ive dived with a photographer that liked to examine a bit about 2ft square for the entire dive. Given we'd travelled hundreds of miles and never seen the near intact large wreck at all before it wasnt amusing. Had to book another trip there just to see the damn thing properly! Small bits of wreck are normally reserved for very low vis dives where you have no choice.

Last dive i did with a guy with a camera was mildly amusing. Absolutely fixated photographing some growth on a standard house brick out of a ships ballast. So engrossed in fact he missed the 2 seals 2m behind him playing with the other 2 of us :)
Did we tell him to look around? Did we hell....... :)

carldarl:
ORRRRRR...... slip an extra 12-16 pounds in their weight belt when they aren't looking. ;-)

Orrrrr if you can do it grab their octo without them noticing, clamp it in your mouth and let them tow you AND you use their air (ive done this).

Ive also seen someone clipping a buddy line to tank pillar valve and being towed for some time without the speed demon noticing he was carrying someone else with him.

There are two kinds of photographers, those looking for The Shot, and those just snapping a log of the dive. If you willingly dive with the former, and spend the entire dive in one place, you have no one to blame but yourself. Because that's what they do, and we all know it.

Sometimes you lose out on the buddy-lottery. The snapping as you go along i can live with, i do it myself abroad or if visibility is good. Swimming is not really any slower than normal

Over the last four weeks, I have taken a marine life ID course through our LDS. The focus of the course was to teach us that there was something to see in almost any square foot of underwater landscape . . . not big things, but often small things; baby fish hiding in dead giant acorn barnacles, or decorator crabs in the eelgrass. There is a lot of life down there that we disregard because we think in large scale and are looking for the underwater equivalent of the African "big five".

My most enjoyable dives have been with buddies where we just barely glide over the bottom, scanning and searching for color, shape, and movement, and enjoying all the things we find. It is not fun to swim as hard as you can to keep up with somebody who seems to have an agenda.

Cold_Under_Here:
I just came back from a dive today, and the unpleasant experience of diving in a group with one diver who felt the need for speed! This certain diver would PLUMET to depth, stir up lots of silt and then with their "split fins" rocketed along a line. The whole time they did not look over their shoulder to check their own buddy...my buddy and I were looking out for theirs!

Several times, we lost speedy in the silt, on aborting the dive several we floated at the surface a waiting for rocket fins to figure out we were gone...it took them a while to realise we had gone. They'd come up, we'd go back down, and they'd shoot off@!

To All You Fast and Inconsiderate Divers: :censored: DON'T DIVE

Buy a motorbike.

This reminds me of a funny story. My wife and I went on a night dive on a wreck with another couple who were new to night diving. The lady was a fairly new diver and kicked up more silt then I could believe. After 30 minutes I looked back at their lights and was LOL into my regulator.

Why was I laughing? Because while I was down below watching this happen, I knew their were six DIR Gurus up on the boat who would be coming down at any minute!!! Sure enough, after about 50 minutes we headed up to do our safety stop. While I was floating there at 15 feet the DIR Gurus swam by into the silt that started at 30 feet and went all the way to the bottom!

ROTFLMFAO into my regulator...life is good!!!

I often wonder what people are thinking when they jump into the water and take off like a rocker ( borrowing the word).

When anyone goes diving and enters the water:
YOU ARE WHERE YOU WANT TO BE.

Where are they in such a hurry to get to??????

Obviously they also need a refresher course in the BUDDY SYSTEM.

Joe

Cold_Under_Here:
I just came back from a dive today, and the unpleasant experience of diving in a group with one diver who felt the need for speed! This certain diver would PLUMET to depth, stir up lots of silt and then with their "split fins" rocketed along a line. The whole time they did not look over their shoulder to check their own buddy...my buddy and I were looking out for theirs!

Several times, we lost speedy in the silt, on aborting the dive several we floated at the surface a waiting for rocket fins to figure out we were gone...it took them a while to realise we had gone. They'd come up, we'd go back down, and they'd shoot off@!

Buy a motorbike.

Got something against split fins?

Cold_Under_Here:

Buy a motorbike.

OH no. Please DON'T suggest the motorbike to these people. There are enough frustrated racers on the roads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom