To Drysuit or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with most others, if you're fine in your wet then I wouldn't bother going dry. I recently bought a drysuit as winter temps here are too cold for wet diving. It's nice that I can extend my dive season to whole year but I'm looking forward to summer so I can get back into my wetsuit, so much easier to dive in. If I could I'd dive wet all year.

I have been thinking about investing into a dry suit in the next year or so, but not sure if I should or not. I currently dive with a 7/5 with 3mm hood and gloves and I am quite comfortable in the water with them on in water to 55-60. I am moving down south and need a lighter wetsuit so I dont get burnt up as bad. I was wondering that with a drysuit would it provide the range of warmth that I would need, from cold (50-60) to warm water (70-80)?

Also what other drysuit companies do demo days other than DUI?

We are transplanted Canadians. When we lived in TGWN I wore a 5mm neoprene drysuit, 5mm gauntlets, 5 mm hood.

When we moved to Atlanta we invested in a pair of DUI TLS350s. We have literally used them all over the world: Red Sea, Gulf of Mexico, Florida rivers & springs, you name it. My only other suit is a full 3mm. That's it.

A shell drysuit gives you much more flexibility in exposure protection: you can layer on as much or as little as you require. Layers can be as simple as a long pair of lightweight pants & a similar long sleeved t-shirt to multiple layers under sweats. It's all up to you.

Also, you will have more mobility & require less weight than what you currently wear. Especially if you dive with a steel tank &/or steel bp/wings.

We are big DUI fans, but I'm sure there are many others to choose from. Whatever one you choose, you won't regret ditching all that neoprene for a trilam or bilam.

FWIW,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom