To feed or not to feed. That is the question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not have a lot of time right now, but let me just say this: if you dive in the Caribbean, you will see barracuda bv the barrel, stingrays by the score and sharks when you are lucky. And in the Pacific you will see them too!

Barracuda are very curious little fellows and frequently follow divers on their ascents! Rays are just a wonderful fish and will generally just look at you until you get too close--and then dart away--and this is just not personal, but they dart away because,Allwet, you are as ugly to them as an uglystick! And sharks will cruise up like a blown Duece V-8 on Saturday night in the 50's, eye you and sail on by--and when you get a little experience, you will bless the day you got certified so you could just watch those magnifent creatures get that close to you!

And I gotta go...........fill Allwet in guys and gals...

Joewr............

Joewr,
I'm not afraid of rays until mating season. Too many underfoot. Therefore I stay away from the beaches. Just go swimming off the boat. Sharks I'll dive with..but not do any spear fishing. Baracudas, still, they just scare the sh.., well you get the idea!

Barracudas don't bother me. They look mean with all those teeth hanging out, but they're no threat. I think they spook some divers becuase they're so curious that they'll follow you around. Also, I know wreck divers who have literally collided with them when the diver was entering and the 'cuda was trying to get out of the way.

If you're curious, there's an interesting web page about barracuda at http://www.uga.edu/cuda/ that I found pretty educational.

Rays, to be honest, still creep me out a bit, a leftover from a friend of mine nearly losing a foot to an improperly treated sting a few years back. I actually went to Disovery Cove and sat in the ray pool there for hours to mellow my fear of them, but the big guys still give me the willies now and then.

Julie

Rays don't bother me either. I've gone diving and had them swim/land on my back. My wife got out of the water when one started to suck/eat her long hair that had been braided with beads. Yes on vac..Bahamas I think, but these were definately human fed rays which were no longer are afraid of humans. Does that say anything to the thread of feeding/diving with sharks? Thanks for the info on the baracuda. I'm going to that site as soon as I post this. (can't seem to get those faces to show up in the text where I want they-frustrating some times!)

Something that I don't think gets discussed enough is the problems with feeding in inland waters. Man, it's a fight for your life when you are in the middle of a roiling fin-ball of sunfish and crappies, all intent taking that last bit of cheeze whiz that is stuck to your fingers. Just getting into the water in some of the lakes around here is an invitation to an attack.

JoelW

I believe the remonstrance that shark diving has received is misdirected. The shark dive charters that I have heard of are safe, responsible operations that dive areas far from swim beaches. Does this practice cause sharks to associate humans with food? Probably, as does deep sea fishing. Though last week's news coverage of the restaurant in the Bahamas that fed sharks for their patrons' entertainment was interesting. Hmmmm

I had 1 harrowing experience with a barracuda... we still joke about it to this day. And, don't get me wrong.... my experience was not the barracuda's fault... it was all human error!
While on a night dive a few years back we came across a very sleepy barracuda. Our group of 6 decided that we all wanted to shine our lights on the poor bugger (bad move!)... he was like a jacked deer! He all of a sudden decided to wake up and wanted out of there quick! Being blinded he became a rocket and headed straight for my crotch!! From the pain I felt I was certain that my lower extremities were history so all I could do was scream and keep my eyes shut! I finally opened my eyes to find my boyfriend laughing hysterically and the rest of the group shining their lights up and down repeatedly.... first on my face and then on my crotch! All I can say is that I had a major bruise (my barracuda hickey) on my inner thigh for about 2 weeks! Hate to think what the poor cuda's nose felt like??!!
Like I said, it was all poor human judgement (and a lesson well learned that I will be ribbed about forever).... barracudas are inquisitive guys and when backed into a corner (or thigh!) they will head for safety!
Casey

Well I guss I started this discussion so I will now put my input into it. But first off I have to say im a hard-core republican in all but a very few areas. I do believe the government is way to far in our business and should leave us alone as long as you do not cross the line and impose on some ones rights. But when it comes to the environment I must go with the other side. Examples: Rainforest, Spotted owl, Whales these are just a very few that have been in great debate. But as divers, one of the first things we learn is not to invasive with the underwater environment. (Ok ok I know you going to say what about spear fishing. But I do consider that different in the regards of most that is hunted is killed and in small number.) But feeding an APEX PREADITOR is what the discussion is about. As for proof that feeding these animals accustoms them to humans I do not have. But anyone that can step back and look at something similar as for the Bear. I do not associate the recent attacks in Florida to feeding sharks. But as the activity of feeding them increases, any one can see there is a high probability that it will. Also it is not also true that people are taken out to the middle of the ocean and dropped off to feed the sharks. It is done within only a few miles of beaches that are full of swimmers. Because we also know that the feeding range of some sharks are hundreds of miles. P.A.D.I. and so have some of you on this board said that shark feeding helps them out because they get good publicity. Dose not the only people that does shark diving are divers that think good of sharks? So for my VOTE, ban shark feeding. If you want to feed the sharks go to sea world or go 1,000 miles off the coast.

Humm what happened to the link at the original post. Must have been taken off buy someone that is for shark diving.

If shark feeding tickles your fancy, all the power to you. But, do it away from me...

A rare shark encounter on a regular dive is cool. The combination of rarity and the element of danger makes it exhilerating. BUT, I am not a fan of shark feedings tours. Generally speaking, being up close and personal with any large carnivore with razor sharp teeth (without the protection of steel bars) makes me nervous...call me crazy. Whether or not humans are on a shark's top 3 list of favorite things to eat, sharks are large and powerful predators. There is something inherently stupid about (a diver) waving food at a shark to get it to come closer. The mental picture is almost funny.

Let's give sharks the respect they deserve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom