to knife or not to knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry both. There are just some situations where you absolutely need a dive knife. Lake diving has proven that to me.

Let me see someone pry a hollow urchin shell from the ocean floor (while it's filled w/ sand) with a set of shears w/o breaking it. I managed to pull up a rather heafty one in Cuba that took some serious digging and gently prying.

I think revolvers are a better choice underwater. Fewer highspeed moving parts to be slowed down by the water.

But I just carry shears.

I always carry a knife, usually shears. In areas that have BS rules, I either carry a folder in a pocket, or if I'm feeling confrontational, I strap on my knife and wait for the DM to comment. If he/she has the balls to say anything (which they usually don't), I look them in the eye and tell them that it's my "New protype folding snorkle"...and stare them down.

Now if underwater firearm preformance is an issue, what is really important is projectile length, and twist rate.....

I understand the "no knife" and "no gloves" rules in underwater national parks. I don't like it, but I understand - I'd rather have a tool down there just in case. The important thing to remember is that as a guest in another country we should follow the rules.

Here's what NOT to do. I tried using a stainless steel (or so I thought) toolman type tool. It looks less like a knife and more like a tool. The problem is that it was NOT stainless steel and now it is an ugly rusted hulk of metal. I doubt if it even opens.
It was my fault since I got a cheap one to try it out. Maybe a Leatherman would be better quality.

Oh, by the way, make sure you rinse the tool in fresh water after diving. That might have helped.

I'll have to check on shears.

I always carry a knife with me and only once have I used it; diving in Dominica there was about 20 foot of rope attached to a coral head. The DM asked me to cut the rope about 18 inches from the coral. I was the only one from our group wearing a knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom